PIR Lens

jayber

Reaction score
When attaching the PIR lens, do you glue it with the rough side facing inward or outward?  I have been putting them in with rough side inward, but I'm wondering if there really is a difference (ie. range).  I guess I could always try a few the other way......didn't know if anybody has tried this already.

A

Archilochus2

Hi jayber,
Depends on the design of the Fresnel lens.  How was it mounted originally??  - That's most likely to be the best way.

Archilochus

wvhunter

Reaction score
Another question on PIR Lens.  Does anyone know where I can get Fresnel material?  I have a extra RS PIR but a bear destroyed the lens, I replaced the whole unit but the board is ok.  Also is the Fresnel specific to a certain PIR?

A

Archilochus2

Hi wvh,
Check http://www.fresneltech.com
They sell Fresnel lenses - but there is a 30US$ minimum order.  They are fairly generous with samples though.
I bet someone on this forum has a ruined RS sensor board with a good lens - probably could convince them to part with it.
Remeber that you should use a segmented lens that will 'chop' the incoming IR.  A single segment Fresnel lens (often called a collector) won't work well, if at all.
The Fresnel lens will not be matched to any particular PIR sensor element (assuming a dual element detector)   What is important is the position of the element.  Both the distance from the lens and the location of the element are important.  Some Fresnel lenses require the sensor to be offset either up or down from the center of the lens in order to achieve maximum sensitivity.

Archilochus

Coal30

Reaction score
I Have a ? does it matter if i mount the lens flat the radio shack sensor is some what round does this matter ?

(Edited by Coal30 at 12:48 pm on Aug. 2, 2001)

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
Coal30 - No it doesn' t matter, the sensor works fine with the lense mounted flat.

Coal30

Reaction score
great to Hear that thanks im going tomorrow to get another Canon Pf  and i got the Sensor Today so ill be working on my third One Cool Thanks Again

Latest Posts

Top Bottom