PIR Lenses

jayber

Reaction score
Anybody know a source for purchasing the PIR lenses themselves?  I have to believe that they're out there somewhere! :eek:)

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently designing a ATMEL AVR microcontroller based game cam.  At first I used the RE200B sensor I took out of a light sensor from Walmart.  However, all of my friends saw my cam and now I have about 50 people wanting one and I still have to finish the first one!  Like you, I could not find sensors and lenses anywhere and I did not want to go buy 50 lights from Walmart and dismantle them.  So I got my purchasing buddy at work to locate some.  He had to go all of the way to China to get decent pricing (and we had to order a VERY large quantity of them).  Anyway, I will be getting my first shipment of sensors and lenses in next month and would be happy to offer a few for sale.  This board is great, and I have learned a lot from it so I feel I can sell some at my cost to yall.  The only other lenses and sensors I found for sale on the net at a reasonable price was at GLOLAB.  They have the lense and sensor for $4.00 each.  I will sell mine for about $4 for the pair.  They are much more efficient and use much less power.  Everyone else on the web want an arm and a leg for them.  

wfontjr

Reaction score
i do not think you will have a problem moving the excess, count me in, i have the same problem you are having, everyone at work deer hunts and everyone wants you to make them one, i have made 8 so far and have at least that many more request

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi jayber,
You can buy PIR sensor elements as well as lenses from http://www.glolab.com, as was mentioned in some other posts.  They also have kits and schematics.

I got a whole pile of "engineering sample" lenses from Fresnel Technologies, Inc.

< http://www.fresneltech.com >

Just invent a company name and submit a reasonably technical sounding request for some samples.  Don't over-do it or these companies will stop offering samples - maybe ask for 5 of the type you're looking for.  And who knows... Maybe you WILL have a company some day soon!  Seems that "Trail-Camera" companies are cropping up like blackflies in Spring!

I used the lens part #WA 0.9 GI 6 V1  

***ATTN. Jaggermax ( Clay DuBois) ****  These lenses are reasonably cheap in $30.00 lots (I think around 32 cents each)  They are small, available in a dark grey, UV resistant, and most important for easy construction..... They can be mounted flat and still work!  The company offers many other styles as well.  Give em a call or e-mail, they are very prompt with replies and assistance.

Perkin-Elmer (formerly Heimann) manufactures what I believe to be the best PIR sensor elements available.  I tested them against REI, Eltec, and some no-name Pacific-rim parts.  They were superior in every way.  Only catch is to find them for sale retail or low-volume wholesale.  I was again forced to use the "engineering sample" thing to get my hands on a few.

< http://opto.perkinelmer.com/ >

Good Luck!,

Archilochus

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I am going through a company called Waitrony out of China.  They offer both PIR sensors and Lenses.  They are very cheap, but the shipping costs SUCK!  I ordered 150 sensors and 300 lenses (150 of two different lens types).  The sensors were .60 cents each and the lenses .09 cents. However, the shipping and handling were over $170!  So am am paying over three hundred bucks to ship $127 worth of product!  Still cheaper than anywhere else in the U.S. if you are interested in building a lot of game cams.  

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Hey Jayber,
I rewired the sensor and relay yesterday and connected the camera up last night. I took about 20 test shots of myself at about 11:30 pm (EST) last night. ALL is working fine. Now to build the cover box. I think I am going to use a small ammo can. We have a lot of black bears in the area I hunt and I am afraid they will tear up anything less than metal. Thanks so much for the advice on the wiring. It really helped. I plan to have the camera on the side of a tree by Friday evening. I love this bulletin board. Hunting with gadgets. What could be better!!
I have shown the unfinished product to several friends and they too would like me to build them one. I am game to buying some of the extra sensors and lenses from Jaggermax if he wants to get rid of a few to a good ol' Virginia boy. Thanks for the post.

gizz

Reaction score
Jaggermax - How many of these things are you planning on building? That's an awful lot of sensors and lenses.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Yea Gizz, it would seem like I am going into full production with that many.  I orginally only planned to build a few for myself and friends, but I think I may actually try to sell a few as a side hobby.  Acutually, I am a design engineer with an ATM manufacturer, Triton Systems.  I was able to con (OPPs, I mean persuade)  my company into ordering them since we are looking at a way to use them in our ATMs.  I will just buy what I need at cost through my company.  We are planning on placing one of these PIRs in the front of the ATM so when someone walks up to it, it greets them and gives them instructions on how to use the ATM.  

jayber

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the leads......I'll check 'em out!!!

Buckoholic - Glad I could help.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Also, while I was thumbing through the MPJA catalog, I came across the RE200B sensor.  They are $3.25 each for under 50 and about $2.50 each if you order 50 or more.  The part number is 7250-MI and they can be found at http://www.mpja.com.  This sensor does draw bit more power than some of the others out there though.  

Advertisement

Top Bottom