PIR range in hot weather

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

gonna get boring for a few and gonna help a few , so hang on.......hehehehe

figured i would do some testing this evening with the Lamson holmes PIR game camera unit to see just how far it was really reaching in this hot summer weather here in the south.

with all the folks having trouble with the units they have built not reaching very far when the temps outside get high, i have built several units with the RS 49-425 PIR,s and they seem to not like any temps above about 80 degree's as they only have a 30 ft. range to start with then loose range very quickly when it gets hot so i gave up on them and now have been using the Lamson Holmes PIR,s with some good results.

this evening after a question from Gizz on how was this unit working in the heat i figured i would just go outside and test mine that i have just got built and was sitting here on the workbench just to see since it is so hot here today as it has been very hot for the last few days and not to mention that it is very muggy too.

Now fer the technical stuff....hehehe

Location :  Toccoa, Georgia  (upper northeastern part of the state)

Temperature: 91 degree's

Time of day: 6:20 pm (actually when i done the testing )

Camera unit tested :
using the Lamson Holmes PIR model #HS3100D , Canon Owl PF , all hooked up in a 30mm ammo can running three 9volt batteries pulling a 4 second timer. the fresnal lense is mounted flat inside the enclosure and set at 1 inch and .150 thousandths from sensor looking thru a square hole in the can measuring 1 inch and .375 thousandths wide by 1 inch and .125 thousandths high. ( boy that was a mouth full.......hehehe)

How camera unit was tested:
to start with i set the camera unit outside in the hot 90 degree + temps to let it warm up to the ambient temp of the outdoors since it was sitting in the house i figured it may have a bearing on the results if the unit was colder than the temp outside. i let it sit for about 30 minutes before any testing was done.

to test the camera unit i just simply walked within it's veiw making the camera fire the flash when it detected my presence. if it picked me up and fired then i would step out farther from the unit and walk by again . i kept this manner of testing up until it would no longer pick me up and figured this was the working range so to speak.

Terrain :
tested  the unit in the backyard which is mostly open grass except for a few trees that gave out just a little shade.

Camera setup 1 :

i set the camera up on a tree in the backyard facing 220 degree's South SouthWest knowing the camera unit would be picking up a little of the evening sun as it was headed down which would make it harder for the PIR to detect .  
Results: the camera would fire the flash every time i walked past out to 34 feet . if i moved out another 3 feet it would not . so this 34 feet is about maximum for the setup.
i used a 100 ft.  tape lying streched out on the ground to determine the measurement.

Camera setup 2 :

next i set the cam up on the same tree but facing 4 degree's North knowing this would probably give me the best range of detection from the PIR.
Results : the camera would fire the flash every time i walked past out to 45 feet . if i moved out another 3 feet it would not . so this 45 feet is about maximum for the setup.
i used the same method of the 100 ft . tape streched out on the ground to determine the measurement.

Conclusion :
to sum it all up the Lamson does beat the  RS models hands down when the temps are hot .
also the way you have the camera facing does have a good bit of bearing on how far it reaches .

long post huh ?
better shut up fer a while...hehehe
Later,

Possum

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.  I am building a second camera and this info will help out - THANKS.

(Edited by Possum at 8:31 pm on Aug. 9, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
Well that does it Gun Docc! Now it'll be mad rush to Lowe's to clean out all the Lamson/GE PIR's.:wavin

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy,
went to Lowe's today as a matter of fact....hehehe
got me three more Lamson PIR's
they had plenty more and i even hid a few of em too....hehehehe
Naw i got a brother in law that works there and he gets me all of them i want if i just ask....lol
he will even make a special order if need be.
Need any ?

Later,

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Gun Docc which which of the timers are you using with your set-up? I picked up a couple sensors today and am fixing to get started. Just wondering whats worked best for you.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Eagle Eye,
i am using the timer that was figured out by Welby/Tinhorn . which is basicly the relay and timer working together with a few modifications that is from page 13 of the radio shack(Forrest Mims) timer, op amp and optoelectronic circuits and projects handbook.
this is the timer that has worked the best for my purposes.

Later,

(Edited by Gun Docc at 12:53 am on Aug. 11, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Wonder what the neighbors thought when you were pacing back and forth in your back yard ! ! ! :ABG  

I meant to test the MS20 in this manner over the w/e but I forgot   :diss   and all 3 of my cams are now in the woods  :mmm

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
It's been over 90* here in Ks. for a couple weeks, and I've noticed that my cams won't pick up movement past 12-15' in this heat.

I'm using the MS20 mounted externally on my cams, so I might give the Lamson model a try.

Is it as easy to wire as the MS20?

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Gun Docc - that's great info! However do you have any idea what the range might be after dark or at 70 degrees or below? If its out to 80 feet then I would want to be able to "choke" it down to no more than 40 feet as the flash is only "rated" to 33 feet. Maybe a summer/fall setting eh?

I got a photo of a great buck last week but he's at the outer range of the flash (at night) and you have to hold the picture up to the light to see his antlers.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy fellers,

KsBowhunter,
it is easier to wire than the ms 20 as it is already rigged to run from 9 volts.

Matt in MO,
the range that i have seen from  the lamson units when the temps were cooler ,   back in may they would reach to about 85 feet during the morning hours as i done kinda the same test and they worked good out to around  the 85 ft mark.

so if you are looking to keep the unit working within the camera's 33 ft flash range you will have to ''choke '' it down as you say.

Later,

(Edited by Gun Docc at 4:41 pm on Aug. 14, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Nose Tweaking, I mean "Range" Tweaking

Notice how the rows of Boxes on the Fresnel Lens are different sizes?

If I remember right, the rows of diff "Sizes" are for  incremental "Range"s of the PIRs.  If you want to decrease the Detection Range (Sensitivity) of the PIR, I "think" we can tape off a complete horiz row at a time until we get the desired range.  Probbaly the tallest row is the greatest distance but I'm "guessing"

(what I mean is, the biggest square row mite be calibrated for 70', the next row down - 50', the next row down - 30', the next row down is for ?' - get it)

I'm also guessing this will work because my cams are out hunting and I can't TEST any  

Maybe somebody can easilly check this out .......

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 12:44 am on Aug. 15, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom