PIR sensitivity question

Tomo

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my trailcam full of pics of moving weeds. Seems if it is windy my card fills up in a few hours. My question is what does everyone set their sensitivity to? I have the RSS board set to about a quarter turn from wide open.

Short of mowing the area I've whacked the weeds close to the cam. I thought the sensor detect changes in heat. If so why does windy days cause my cam to fire?

Thanks,
Pat

pocomoke

Reaction score
check the times on those false pics.If you have your delay on say 1 minute and your false pics are every minute as well it is a problem with your connections.I had a couple problems with rss board last year filling my card on a d380 and tracked it down to firing off a pic everytime my delay was up.

Also bring the card home and look at pics on your computer.You would be surprised how many times you look at pic on cam and see nothing but look on your computer and there is a pesky squirrel or bird in the background.Sometimes you have to look real good and then you see a squirrel tail sticking out from behind a tree....

If it is hot around your area the wind blowing tree limbs will set it off.The hot air thermals get blown around and can set off the pir...

bat

Reaction score
Two other things I just thought about. Where and what type of connector are you using? Check the time of the pictures to see if they correspond to the refresh time(if you are using the fast refresh you should see the times on the pictures about every 2.5 minutes or so if you have a short in the connector). This will fill a card up fast if you are using a short delay. You can check the time by going into the properties on the picture.
The other thing is the background beyond the weeds etc. If there are any type of shiny bushes/leaves in the background they can heat up and the pir will detect the change in temperature that way.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom