PIR Sensitivity

Steve Jo

Reaction score
I have my unit put together.  Im using an MS20 PIR, 9v power supply [6 C cell batteries]

I tested the unit before assembling it and was getting satisfactory results with the PIR catching movement.

After assembly and letting the caulking dry [caulking camo job] I set the unit up to start fine tuning the pir range.

In test mode about 50% of the time the PIR will not time out, the LED will stay lit and Ill have to repower the unit.

Once I get a good time out the PIR will not pick up any movement past about 6 inches, then it will trigger.  I replaced the batteries and I still get the same thing.

Any Ideas before I tear out the PIR and put in a new one?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Possum

Reaction score
First, Merry Christmas.  Second, did you mount the PIR in the unit it came in or did you mount it in the camera with the white material covering the opening of your enclosure.  The PIR's are sensitive to the distance between the "white" lens and the actual PIR lens.  Perhaps you may have increased or decreased the distance between these two.  

Third, what kind of relay did you use - 9v or 5v?  If you used a five volt, save yourself some money on batteries.  Go to 4 batteries for 6v and you will be fine.  The MS20 regulates the power and you can battery voltage equal to the relay you put in.  of course if you used a 9v battery you have to go with 9v of power.  I built my second cam like that and I am in the process of modifying it to a 5v relay.  Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Top Bottom