pir sensor

2Deer

Reaction score
The PIR sensor that I use is a MS20 and it quit working last night.  I will cause the camera to take a picture when I tap on it but only when I tap on it.  I thought that it might be a loose solder, but everything is secure?  Has anybody else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

howerton

Reaction score
i have a simple problem: when i use plexiglass or really its a piece of 2 inchx4 inch clear welding shield lense plastic the sensor can't detect through it why is this and what can i use infront of the pir sensor. would just a piece of plane glass work? And one more thing i took the plastic lense off last night and set my camera in my spot. I did a test shot and the camera didnt go off until i was about 10 to 15ft infront of the camera. Im using the radio shack brand sensor. is this a typical range? thanks  Howerton.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Howerton,
Most people don't use anything in front of the fresnel lens, because it affects it's ability to detect heat. It won't work at all through glass, or plexiglass, I have read that you can use the thin plastic sheets used to protect paper, but I have never tried it. If you leave the rs pir in the housing, you should be able to do better than 15 feet. If you take it apart, and don't get the exact distance between the PIR and the lens this will affect the detection distance.

CB

quackmaster

Reaction score
I've tried everything, even, plastic sheets from a report folder. Nothing ever worked. Stayed with the original fresnal.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
HOWERTON, I use the RS PIR on all 5 of my cams. I use the original fresnal lens on all of mine. I have tested mine out to about 50ft. A couple of things when you are testing them.Depending on what you are wearing the heat from your body might not be enough to trip the PIR compared to the outside temp. When I tested mine I took my breath on my bare hand and warmed it up. I also tested shortening the distance because of night pics.What I did is doubled the fresnal lens and it cut my distance from 50ft. down to about 25ft.Hope this helps. LOL

Top Bottom