Pistol suggestions for a woman?

ranchwife

Reaction score
After my little run in with the mountain lion, I am wanting to get my own pistol. My husband's 40 cal. Smith and Wesson is too big a gun for my hands and is hard for me to use (cocking the gun, etc.), but I like the fact that it has more knock down power. My father-in-law's 22 revolver fits my hand well, but I don't think it has enough knock down power to protect me. Any suggestions on a gun that has a good amount of knock down, a relatively small kick, and has a small grip for a woman's hand?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Tree Doc

Reaction score
ranchwife,
What is st specifically that you find objectionable with the S&W Pistol you were toting? Is it hard for you to actuate the slide when cocking? Is the grip to large? Just some defining questions. My wife and I are both Certified Instructors and have worked with many women new to handgunning. My wife actually had the same problems early on and we fitted her with a Springfield Armory XD9 as it fit her quite well with her small hands. She shot it competitively in IDPA events and was doing well with it. It is availabe in 40 S&W as well.

If a revolver is more your style, consider a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag. It has a much smaller grip than many revolvers yet is a rather heavy framed gun so it will tame recoil quite well.

Something to consider anyway.

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Being a strictly ergonomic issue, I suggest showing up at the local gun shop and start handling the pistols. Once you have it narrowed down to a couple that are comfortable in the hand, find a range with those for rent.

Burn rounds
until you have the cartridge/frame combination you are comfortable with and then find the best price!

Good luck,

Eric

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Ranchwife,

I think the advice so far is sound. Best thing is to go try some, and see what feels good to you. If it's for lions, it doesn't have to be the big ol' super-magnum, so you have a lot of choices... 9mm, .357, .40S&W, etc. A mountain lion has thin skin and a fairly sensitive nervous system, so a good hollow-point round from any of these would likely discourage further aggression.

Mudwalker has fairly small hands, and she loves my Browning Hi-Power. Several of the Walther pistols fit her well too. In revolvers, she handles my Super Blackhawk very well, as well as some of the small to mid-frame S&Ws.

There's a lot out there. Go see what you like.

ghrousseau

Reaction score
I also place a vote for S&W in the 357. Thats what I have at home and it fits my wifes hands well. Revolvers are very reliable and you can shoot 38 specials or up to 200 grain flatnose in 357 magnum (ie Corbon ammo). There are several different models that should fit you hands well.................for autos you might try a Sig P232 or a CZ83. Also might look at the Glocks...............they have a fairly thin grip........1.2 inches I think in the G17 and G19.

Like everyone says....................go to a shop and spend some time. Pick something that feels comfortable and that you can reach the trigger easily.

good luck.

oldyankee2

Reaction score
I agree with the other posters, you need to check 'em out for yourself, but
it is also a big help to have some ideas on where to start looking. Unless you prefer
a semiauto, I'd also recommend the Ruger SP101 - it is very solid and quite
accurate. A young lady I know who is maybe 5' 2" and quite petite was
very comfortable with it, and quite accurate. A +P 38 round or a 357 Mag
round will take care of a mountain lion, and this revolver can handle both.
The grips are reasonably small, and you can also easily get custom grips
for it also. A used J-Frame S&W, with at least a 4 inch bbl might also fit the bill -
though accuracy with shorter barrels (and recoil) may get less pleasant. The Ruger
has significantly more mass to reduce the effects of recoil on your hand/wrist.

My $.02,
oldyankee

ranchwife

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies they are helpful! Tre Doc, I do have a hard time actuating the slide to cock the gun and the grip is too big for me. My father-in-law has a .357 and I think I will ask to try it out.

Thanks again for your help, as always!!

m57jager

Reaction score
Constitutionalist is correct. Got to the shop and feel each one, that's what matters most. With that I can almost guarantee that you will end up with the 3 1/16" BBL Ruger Sp101. It's a compact 357 made to reduce recoil and fit a womans hand. I bought on e for my girl and absolutely loves it. That's her baby. I like it to, but I don't even try ask if I can borrow it for a backup. Anyway, good luck.

NE Hunter

Reaction score
If you can find one a Ruger security six ( no longer made) My wife has one and you couldn't get her to give it up. Maybe a blackhawk, it can be had in .357, .41 mag, and .45 Colt ( the .45 Colt can be loaded hotter for the Ruger too if you need it)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom