Pix Challenge

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well, Gizz challenged us to get a pix of a rattle snake awhile back so here is a new challenge.

I have tried and tried to get a pix of a Turkey Vulture to surprise you guys.  Believe it or not, every weekend for the past 2 months I have run around scooping up road kills to use as bait over one of my Cams with NO LUCK!   The buzzards are everywhere on the roads eating that stuff but.....

1st prize, a date with Jesse's woman

2nd prize, to be announced

3rd prize, 2 dates with Jesse's woman

Tinhorn

Coal30

Reaction score
i have turkey Vulture Here in wisconsin do see them very much but there here lol

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
To stray off into avian biology again (yup, I guess I like vultures too :) ......
Vultures - unlike most birds - have an extraordinary sense of smell.  Unfortunatly, they also get shot at a lot.  So they have developed a strong dislike for getting too close to fresh human scent. If you want try to get vultures on film, try washing your cam off with clear water before going out to set it up, and try to minimize the amout of time spent setting the cam up. Wear rubber gloves, plastic bags over your boots, that kind of thing.  People will give you some strange looks, no doubt! Letting the cam stay out through some heavy rain might help too.  Oddly enough, it is sometimes fairly easy to get close to vultures if you are in a car.  Maybe a car mounted automatic camera - yeah, that's the ticket!
>>
I've been trying to get pics of ravens, but there are not many around here, and the few that are around are very cautious near man-made things- tons of crow pics though.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Archy,

It's funny you said that about the car and the rain!  You must have ESP too

Several Months ago, I was out back in the field and ran over a copperhead with the car.  I found it when I got out to look at a food plot.  About that time, it started to rain so I headed on back to the house, walking, to look for deer sign.  

When I got to the gate and looked back, there were 2 Vultures eating that snake (200 yards).....I came back 30 min's later when the shower was over and nothing but bones, looked like fish bones laying there.

That's when I got the idea and went "Roadkill Huntin'"

I bet u're rite, about the smell, might try it again during a rain storm.  I picked up the road kills with Latex Gloves just so I wouldn't touch the spoiled meat, didn't know to worry about buzzards smelling me (like fish must do when I go fishing, never catch anything)

Tinhorn

Top Bottom