Pixcontroller PIR Detection

jdbuck

Reaction score
I have got two Pixcontroller setups with the RSS chips and they both work great except they seem to be slow on picking up any motion. It takes about a second from the time I get in the detection area untill it actually senses any movement and then triggers the camera, therefore I am getting pictures of only the back halves of some of the deer. The shutter time for the camera is very fast so that is not the problem. The PIR is centered and mounted .65 from the fresnal, I have checked this several times. Is this normal for the PIR detection to be so slow? Any suggestions on what may be the problem? I have tried adjusting the sensitivity which increases or decreases the detection distance but does nothing for the response time.Also, at about 15 feet the PIR detection area seems to be around 4 feet wide, does this seem right or is it a little narrow? How much more width in the detection area would a wide angle fresnal lense give me? Thanks

Haymaker

Reaction score
jdbuck,

I would say you either have a Lens issue where it's not centered right or night the right distance from the PIR sensor, or the sensitivity is turned down. Put the system into walk test mode and look for your PIR area. The PIR sensor will light up the LED's as soon as it "sees" motion. There is no lag in time, so in other words the PIR isn't slow.

jdbuck

Reaction score
Haymaker, I kind of figured that the PIR should detect right away, but when I did all my tests I had it in the walk test mode and the detection area seemed small and sometimes I would walk right in front of the camera and it would not detect me untill about a second later, didnt matter if I was walking right to left or left to right. What is the distance from the PIR to the lense supposed to be? I thought .65". Are the plastic standoffs you send with the boards the correct lenth or do they need to be modified to give you the correct distance?

bat

Reaction score
The detection area is small, walking in front of it from right to left, mark on the ground when it first picks you up. Then do the opposite, walk from left to right, mark where it picks you up. This is your detection zone or width. Now see if it is off center. Just getting the pir element the correct distance doesn't mean you have it lined up correctly. You do need the pir element lined up dead center of the fresnal hole but you also need the board lined up with the front of your cam as you should have your camera lined up also. Both the board and the camera need to be lined up together seeing the same zone. Even a little bit of mis-alinement on either the camera or the board can produce pictures of the animals with half bodies etc. Measure the distance from each side of your board to make sure you have it square to the door, this should line it up ok. Hope this helps,
bat

pocomoke

Reaction score
Just a thought but if you are doing your testing while it is hot outside,like 90 or better maybe the sensor has a hard time seeing you at first since your body is around same temp as the air.Just an idea but probably not the problem...

W

wildebeast

What size of hole did you use for the pir? I agree with Haymaker that the pir isn't slow.

You can test by moving your hand in front of the cam and seeing when the light goes on....come from both directions and it should give you the area it covers.

Four feet at 15 feet is not much area. but don't think that the lense distance would make that big of a problem, it might make it more sensitive but would work.

If it's a digital cam ...take a picture and then mark with a stick on the ground the borders of the picture... that is where you want the pir to pick up the movement.

Hope this helps,

cliff

forgot to add that I don't set the little circles on the lense in the middle of the pir...I place it so the circles are on each side of the middle of the pir. I get quicker responce from the outer pir range on the sides and centers the animal better.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom