Places to shoot in N California

Hoss71

Reaction score
Im new in the state and would like to find out some good spots for upland hunting.  If there is any information on private farmers or landowners that would be ok with allowing a hunter ontheir land that would be great.  I have looked at some of the public hunting lands, and they look pretty uninspiring.  I appreciate all your help.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Welcome to Jesse's!  Hope you enjoy it here!!

I have found that California residents have different opinions on the definition of Northern California.  What area are you living in?  That will help us give you advice on where to hunt.  If you are in the true north state (modoc), there are too many places to recommend.  The area is crawling with doves, quail, chuckar and grouse (if you know where to look for both of theses species).  

Any other ideas from anyone . . . .?

hntndux

Reaction score
For dove I'd give Oroville WA a look see and the Upper Butte Basin WA's.  Gray Lodge can be good especially around the NW corner of the East Side, but man is it crowded opening day.  Quail is good in the Mendecino NF, NF lands around the Redding area and Tehema WA are good places to checkout.  Pheasants any of the Northern WA and refuges on the I-5 and 99 corridor are very good, but crowded.

Hoss71

Reaction score
Thanks all,
I am located in the Sacramento area and although have heard great things about the North State - Trinity/Shasta/Modoc County area - I wouldnt want to go there unless it was a 3 or 4 day hunting trip.  I am interested in good locations up there as well, but I guess I am looking for a good spot to go to regularly.  I am open to farmers or other lands that would be willing to grant permission or possibly lease.  Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks
Hoss

NoCAL

Reaction score
Hoss,
Do you have a boat? There is good hunting on both the Feather and Sacramento rivers. Find a sandbar, wait till around 7:00 on the first and you'll get some shooting. I go up around Willows but I've been seeing alot of doves while salmon fishing on the Feather. You have to have a boat though. The birds won't land anywhere but sandbars with large amounts of open sand. If you're near the banks and there is alot of brush around, forget it.

NoCAL

Top Bottom