• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Planning a Wyoming Speed goat hunt this year.

Wino

I planning a hunt for antelope this year in Wyoming. Trying to find a good area with walk-in access. Might even go the pay to trespass route if my budget lets me. This will be my first attempt at drawing a tag out of state. It a lot of stuff to figure out. Anyone else heading out there? I have a question for guys who have hunted out here before. Should I go opening week or wait till the end of the season when it calms down some?

Wino

Last edited:

gdt

Hoping to get back out there. Did it a couple years ago and tagged out opening morning. Area 94, but you need a few pp for get drawn.

Wino

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I'm going to treat this an exploratory trip. I will try to get drawn on my first pick for one of the better (not best) zones but my second and third pick will be for the easier to draw zone that has limited public. If I get a buck...cool. If I don't, will by the end of the season I will have a few pp and a better understanding of Wyoming. So then I'll try again next year.
Wino

I planning a hunt for antelope this year in Wyoming. Trying to find a good area with walk-in access. Might even go the pay to trespass route if my budget lets me. This will be my first attempt at drawing a tag out of state. It a lot of stuff to figure out. Anyone else heading out there? I have a question for guys who have hunted out here before. Should I go opening week or wait till the end of the season when it calms down some?
Wino
I have hunted WY plenty for antelope. Its pretty easy stuff if you can shoot straight out to 300 yds or better but not necessary. As far as when to go, I say go when you can; but if you have the leisure of choosing, let the first two days of the season pass. Keep in mind that WY doesn't give two craps about weekends when setting hunting seasons. For example gdt mentions Area 94 (takes at least 6 points to draw or a whole lot of luck). It opens on the 10th of Sept (a Tuesday) for type 1 & 6 permits and on the 15th of August for a type 7 permit.

If you hunt midweek after the first two days, you will have the place all to yourself. We will be headed out this year but for archery.

Last edited:

OR186

You seem to have a pretty good understanding of the draw. No preference points, right? Unless you get lucky in the random draw your second choice units are limited. If I had to pick a 2nd choice unit I would go with 16 or 22. 16 can be a good hunt if you don't mind lots of up and down hiking and can cover ground. I think 22 now has an HMA for access. For a first choice with 0 points sure thing I would look at 26 then 25. So if you're a gambler pick one of the west side units with lots of BLM 1st choice and a sure thing 2nd choice. If you find a 0 point unit you like that you can draw 1st choice with 0 points, go for it. Some units are busy all season nowadays but the first week is always the busiest. The local biologist for whichever unit you choose will be a rewarding phone call.

Last edited:

Wino

Got my tag! Unit 16. Now it’s time to get to work. Planing to pour over maps on OnX tonight. And how i will pitch the idea that I need a better scope for my 6.5 to my wife.

Last edited:

Top Bottom