Plastic Baits for Sacramento River Striper

DJE

The question is pretty straight forward. Anyone ever use plastic bait for river striper? I have lots of it and I am trying to save some money by using what I have. Any suggestions from you all out there would be great.

slowpoke

I use fishtrap swim baits with either 3/8 or 1/2 oz heads down near Isleton. They have produced both casting and trolling in a pearl color. I saw an episode of Angler West where they used a black worm on the river in the Colusa area and did well

NorCalBowhunter

I've seen guys do good on big plastics. An old guy I fish with from time to time swears by plastics on a jig head. And that reminds me... I was out a couple of weeks ago south of Colusa. A guy anchored up next to us was flipping some and getting into some decent fish.

Sent via pony express

Fredezee

4-6" Storm Wildeye Shad in white have worked pretty well for me. Super spooks for top water action best at sunrise and sundown. If you're on a boat anywhere in the delta, north, south there are plenty of irrigation pumps that dump back into the river system. If you come across one that is running, throw your lures around where the water is crashing back into the river.
Here's a 24" one I caught late last fall off the bank in my area on a swimbait mentioned above, I put my size 13 foot in the shot just to compare size.

DJE

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am gonna have to invest some time and drive a little further South. I have been out to the rive once a week for the past 6 up here west of Chico and not even nibbles. I see a trip further south in my future.

NorCalBowhunter

And now, reading these reply's I'm a bit confused. Plastics and swim baits are two different things to me. Plastics to me, is worms and things?

Sent via pony express

DJE

When I say plastic baits I mean things like senko worms. Swimbaits to me would be rappalas, and other balsa wood type baits.

Top Bottom