Pleasant suprise last week

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I was working behind locked gates last week when I came upon two dudes walking down the road in camo. As I approached them I expected them to either dive for the brush (dope growers) or give my truck the evil eye. Instead, they flagged me down and struck up a conversation. One of them had drawn a NE Elk Rifle tag :smiley_green_with_eand they were out scouting and learning the lay of the land. They figured I spent a lot of time in the area and asked if I knew of any good spots to look. Normally I would not give away ANY of my hunting spots, and especially spots for a tag I dream of drawing. This time I decided to help a little, since they were miles inside a gate (and I had seen their truck parked about 6 miles away). When I told them I could give them some places to start looking they suprised and impressed me by unfolding a large map with multiple red X's and circles. They had found two wallows and had found several other areas the elk had been using recently. They had been scouting all week and seemed to be pretty dialed in. Unfortunately they had even located a spot I had never seen anyone hunt and I had hoped to keep for myself. The amazing part to me was that they were not focused in on the places everyone goes. I showed them several other "ponds" and good wallow candidates, gave them the names and numbers of people who might grant trespass permission, and wished them well.
This morning they stopped in at my office to let me know they were headed back home and thanked me for my info. They had spent 11 days scouting, and planned on spending the entire 12 days of the season hunting. The map they had developed and showed me would probably make every other tag holder drool. They had explored most of the unit, and had located every herd I knew about in it! The tag holder told me he was using his whole years vacation time between this scouting trip and the hunt. I told them to please let me know how they did, and to not hesitate to contact me if they needed help getting a bull out. I definitely would take a vacation day to help. They planned on focusing on a bull they found on public land, and had a back up bull in case he moved or got shot in the archery hunt.
I can be a selfish S.O.B. when it comes to secret spots and trophy animals, but I really hope this guy succeeds! I know I could not have done as good a job as these two had.

bodega

Reaction score
Shovel - Now that is some impressive research. Bravo on helping them out. Do you work for the forest service? If you do hear from them during the season please update this post. That is my CA dream elk tag and I'd love to hear their story. Saw some cows and tracks when I was up in Modoc hunting mulies last October, and I dream of roaming up there again.

hank4elk

Reaction score
Great story shovel and I commend you on all you did,after all they had done the research and where deffinetly dialed in and deserved the back up.Bravo to you again and Good Luck and Good Hunting to them.

Top Bottom