Pleasant surprise while coyote hunting

davered1

Reaction score
Have been out coyote hunting for the last week or so, got about 3 inches of snow last night. Went out this morning and spotted a "big coyote" at about 1100 yards. He was busy eating something, so off we went to try to get a shot at him. The snoe was extremely load as it had 3 inches of fresh, a 1 inch crust then 5 inches of crystal snow under it. WE headed out thinking we could get about 250 yards from him before he wised up enough to bolt, down across the river and up the other side ,we had about 60 yards to go to get to the opening and get a look at him. As we got near the edge of the brush we spotted the "coyote" laying down eating the same bone, A elk leg. One look at 200 yards and you could tell it was no coyote, but, in fact A WOLF!! AS we inched closer to edge we knew he could here us but he had a hard time spotting us with the snow camo. We got out to the edge as he caught us moving, up he got and started trotting away from us. My buddy was the first to shoot as I shot a black wolf last year so I let him have first shot at him.He missed and the dog picked up a gear. I fired once at about 275 yards but missed , must have came close thoug has he turned and started running directly away from us. My friend fired one more and missed again, I put the crosshairs directly on his head as he was running away and squeezed off my second round, Down he went, my 22-250 broke his back at 350 yards.

What a rush, this is the first wolf we have seen this year and we were lucky enough to have tagged him. That makes #2 in as many years. He is a beauty wieghing in around 150lbs, a Fair male, His canine teeth were all either broke completely off or had significant wear on them.

heres a few pics of him and the gun used on him, what do you think??

songdog

Reaction score
Holy cow! Those things are huge! Glad you got it... I'd be kicking myself over and over if I'd missed, missed and missed. Having that last shot connect had to be a great feeling!

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful!!!

Thanks for the story. I always enjoy your writing.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Awesome!!!! I hope to have a chance at one someday. Have you ever called one of those bad boys in?
Scott

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Very cool and congrat.
Are you going to mount him or use him as a rug or hang him??

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
WOW, what a beaut and congratulations.... Man, I'd want my 300 mag for that puppy. YIKES !

EVAN III

Reaction score
Yup leave it up to you to make everyone jealous!! Very Nice!!! That's a big boy!! Congrats and nice story.

MrRee

Inactive
Reaction score
hmmmm
Got a picture of the sled, and the mad eskamo too???

Nice one!

Pasco

Reaction score
Davered1,

My family and I always enjoy your pictures and stories. Nice job, thanks.

davered1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I gave the wolf to my buddy that I was hunting with ,he has never shot one and wanted to get it done into a rug for his wall so I figured that that was better than selling it or sending it in to a fur auction.

The shot I'm sure was more luck than good skills as I have shot at countless coyotes at that distance and hardly ever hit one. Mind you this guy is 6 times the size of a coyote. It couldn'r have ended better other than we were over 1200 yards to the pickup with no knives or any means of getting him to the pickup without brute force, like dragging a deer that far. took about 1 hour. Better than walking back empty handed with nothing more than a pout on my face

I have never had one come in to a call. We don't have that many around here but I'm sure if one or 4 were passing by while a guy was calling they'd come but probably from all sides as they do when they attack a animal
Could be a little nerve racking???

MBullism

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in on the HUGE part. I had no idea they were so big.

Congrats!

1SoCalHunter

Reaction score
Davered1:
That's a beautiful wolf, great trophy, thanks for the story and pictures.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL animal!!!! I agree, I didn't know they were so large!! Glad we just have coyotes to deal with!

Top Bottom