plesanton area { help } info

d trees

Reaction score
hey guys Im off of school from 12-20 to 01 06 and thinking of visiting a friend in the pleasaton area and would like to do some goose hunting I have a flexable schedule and looking for some Ideas im thinking about three day stay and would like to hunt two days, does anyone from the forum guide in the area ?? or close to it thanx . d

(Edited by d trees at 10:29 pm on Dec. 11, 2001)

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Not much hunting in Pleasanton, unless you have a pellet gun and want to stalk the canals and ditches.  It's loaded with mallards, but I don't know what the neighbors would say.  :)

If you want a good opportunity for Geese, you're gonna have to head out a couple of hours to the north and hit one of the valley refuges.  There are some day hunt clubs up that way also.  

Grizzly Island is about an hour drive, but I don't know how it's shooting this year.  It would be your best, easiest bet for ducks, but goose hunting there is really hit or miss.  

There are several clubs over in the Fairfield area, but dunno if any of them offer day hunts.  

I'd offer a trip to the salt ponds, but I'm gonna be out of town that whole time, chasing white tails and wood ducks back in North Carolina.  

d trees

Reaction score
thanks for the offer speck and good luck in NC hope you get a big buck and thanx for the info. Wouldnt mind to pay for a day hunt if someone can recomend somebody thanx again , d

(Edited by d trees at 10:23 am on Dec. 12, 2001)

tuledoghollywood

Reaction score
i might be starting up a pay for the day hunt on one of my ranches  honkers and ducks .. i talked to the land owner last night and we havent came up with a price yet ill let you know

d trees

Reaction score
I would be interested depending on the price and how far are you from pleasanton ???

tuledoghollywood

Reaction score
the area is in petaluma area sonoma county.. i guess i need to call f&g first i dont know why they can get involved

Jay

Reaction score
TuleDog,

I don't think DFG needs to be involved, however there may be rules around being a "guide".

You also may want to think about liablity on yours or the landowners part. Any of the rice clubs would face the same issues.

Check with Spec or some of the other guys running clubs.

I know there are insurance companies that specialize in liability insurance for hunting clubs to protect the land owner. When I signed up for my salt pond lease I had to pay $25 for liability insurance to protect Cargill Salt.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Tuledoghollywood,

Just a little FYI IMO, be careful as you can bet money the DFG has this website up in one of their offices.

As far as the hunt let me know when you get something going via e-mail, I'd be interested in the mallards, honkers don't do much for me.  

Kentuck

Reaction score
I believe that unless you are just charging for the access to the ranch and not actually going with the hunters DFG may not need to be involved. If you go with the hunters then you will need a guide license. I don't think they are difficult to get because a friend of mine got one and other than having a decent club to duck hunt on I don't view him as all that talented a hunter.
When I hunted antelope up out of Alturas a couple of years ago there was a local there that would take goat hunters out just for fun. Found out later DFG was after him for guiding without a license. He wasn't even charging folks.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
d trees - I am in that area but don't know of any guides to suggest. There are several refuges within 1 1/2 hours (San Luis, Los Banos, Kesterson, West Bear, Grizzly Island...), and you can get to Sac and Delevan in about 2 hours (depending on fog).

If you decide to try a refuge, my suggestion is to check the regs on these areas and find out their lotto rules and maybe give one a try. The DFG posts the averages as well so you can maybe see how they are doing at any given time.

Good luck to you.

d trees

Reaction score
thanx d fan so I take it you guys mostly hunt the n grass lands area ??

MQ

Reaction score
If you are willing to drive a couple hours, here are the phone numbers for a couple guides in the Colusa area (taken from ads in the SF Chronicle).

Sundance Hunting Club - 530-893-4335
Golden BB Guide Service - 530-458-5177

Have fun and good luck

Duck Fan

Reaction score
d tress - I used to hunt most in the grasslands, but my hunting up north (Sac valley) has been much better the past few years so I try to go north when I can.  So far this year I have hunted Sac, LDC, Delevan, San Luis, Kesterson and Merced.  So, as you can see I will try all the areas within a 2 hour drive from me.  I like the variety.

It depends on how much time you have while here.  I would suggest going north if you have the time...but if you want to try the grasslands, there are several places to hunt all within a few minutes of each other (Los banos, San Luis, Salt Slough, Kesterson, West Bear).  All of these are close enough that you could try a couple of them in a day - just to see what they look like and enjoy being out there.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and my early days were spent at Wister and Kern.  Moving up here has provided me with so many more opportunities...but I do miss those places.  I do get to Kern a couple times a year (usually).  a few hour drive but always do well (been hunting there since the 60's).  Good luck.

I do that sometimes - just to get to knwo more fo the areas "nearer" to me.

d trees

Reaction score
thanx  DF for the info have to play it by ear I guess , think im gonna take off tommarow and head down to wister and get in the lotto , I can only imagine hunting kern and wister in the 60's it must of been great ? was it as crowded back then as it is nowadays ?? . d

Duck Fan

Reaction score
D Trees:

Wister was pretty crowded back then..seems it always was since it was just about all you had down south back then. We drove from Van Nuys to get there and those long drives were killer for my dad. He would always stop at  Lauflin Date Farm ( spellign ??) and get a "date shake" on the drive home and I would go for chocolate...(yuk - date shakes).  Is that still there?  

The sprig and teal were so plentiful and we had barn burner hunts.  The snow geese were always something you could count on and I even got my first Honker on my 14th birthday at Wister..over a pond in the T12 area (I think that was it).

Then we started to hunt exclusively up north in the area a couple of miles up from the check station.  I forget the numbers...

My dad would take us 3 boys down there and put us to work pulling up arrowroot so we could build our blinds on the dike.  I loved that place and haven't been back in over 25 years now that I live up north.

Kern was the best.  Back then the check station was located in what is now the current parking lot. It was located in the north west corner of the existing parking lot and you entered the area through a gate at that point.

They had a family that sold hot chocolate and coffee and chili the night before each hunt.  I believe they were from a local church and came out there to make some money on us as we waited in line.  Everyone had fires going and they even had a movie some nights that they would show on a wobbly screen.  It was magic to me as a kid and teen.  And, the entire area that is now the closed zone was OPEN...so you really could get lost out there and we really didn't have issues with crowds.

My dad suffered a fatal heart attack at Kern in Nov 1991 and died that night.  He went doing what he loved best - hunting....so Kern has a special spot in my heart.

Good luck to you when you arrive in northern CA.  

AFTER we checked in, we soemtimes woudl sneak into Niland and he woudl g

d trees

Reaction score
Duck fan very nice thanx Kern must of been great back then , d

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom