Plugs for D-370 and D-380?

Elk Bowhunter

Reaction score
I am going to build a couple of digital cams using Brian's board and the Olympus D-380 cameras. My question is: Has anyone ever used a telephone jack on the camera wires so that the camera can be removed? Seems like that is one of the smallest plugs and they are cheap and can be found everywhere. I'd like to be able to use the camera for family photos when it isn't in the woods in my trail cam. Would I be able to do that?

bigbucks

Reaction score
Yes Elk bowhunter the phone jacks work real good. I haven't done a D-380 yet but I did a 370 and I think they are similar. I use the phone jack also and the cam works independant of the rest of the unit. The 370 was the easiest camera I hav ever hacked.

Elk Bowhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. wisbowhunter, I can't view your pics. Does anyone have pics they can post?

Ganewbie

Reaction score
Wisbowhunter, I like the look of your plugs. Where did you get them? I assume there is a hollow are inside the 370 for the body of the jack. I've built three or four with the owls and I'm ready to move on to digital.

deerguide

Reaction score
wisbowhunter,
I've used the same connector in a couple of my cams.  I had to cut the back side of the connector down a bit to get it to fit into the Cannon PF. From your picture, it looks like you too were pressed for room on the inside of the camera for what would be considered a standard mouniting of the sterio phone jack. Am I correct in interperting what I think I am seeing?  Looks like you cut a square hole for the square body of the connector so it would intrude into the camera body a bit less?

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
wisbowhunter, what did you use on your enclosure for the texture. I used auto body filler on mine and it worked good. Yours looks great. MC.

My Cam

wisbowhunter

Reaction score
When you have the d370 apart there is a camera tri pod mount on the bottom just remove it and put the jack in its place. You will have to sand off a little bit of 2 of the corners and bend your solder connections so it fits in as far as you can get it then dab a bit of crazy glue on the edges and your done. The camo is colored caulk

wapiti

Reaction score
wisbowhunter are you powering both the sensor and the cam with the battery pac or just the sensor?  Are those D-cells?

deerguide

Reaction score
wisbowhunter,
You know what.  I just removed a tri pod mount on another camera that I'm working on, just to have a place to run the cable to the outside.  Never thought to try and fit the jack into the hole.  Thanks for the info.  As soon as I get the sucker back from the field, I'm going to "Fix her up".

Dobler

Reaction score
I used Wis. bowhunters idea and it works great.  I had a little trouble soldering to the connector but I believe I had it set a little hot.  What temp do you set your iron at with RS solder?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom