Poachers beware!

Vanilla Gorilla

Reaction score
Is it legal to shoot a trespasser in Texas?  I don't know about you guys, but poachers really piss me off.  Does anyone have any suggestions to help keep them out.  I am currently considering a proposition from the local game warden to set up a sting this fall.  I just don't want to spook the real deer.

Walker

Reaction score
If you are aware of any poaching then definitely have a talk with the local game warden. I have never met a Texas Game Warden that wasn't dead serious about doing his job.

miked

Reaction score
I have the same problem on a small lease in AL. The poacher is a repeat offender. I keep a cell phone on me with numbers of the local police and game warden.

The local police can contact the GW via their dispatcher if I am not able to contact him via his cell phone.  It great to see how the local plice and GW work together.

To quote the GW, "I have a pair of handcuffs with his name(the poacher) on them!" The poacher has not paid his fines on his last 2 arrests.

D Letho

Reaction score
Speaking of a GW sting I have a good one for you ! My uncle and I were driving down a road our land is on in New Jersey. About 1 mile from the land we see a great looking buck standing on the side of the road ( 4:00 A.M.) We both started to yell at each other looking at the buck just stand there.

I have to tell you being a honest hunter the thought had crossed my mind !!!We both decided to do the right thing and turn around and get him. Just kidding !! We did turn around to get a picture of him though.

As we drove up we noticed he was in the same place and had not moved at all. We pulled up slower and seen his head turning towards us. As we got closer we could see it was a decoy.We did not take the pictue since we did see the GW sitting in the woods accross the street in his Jeep. Later that morning the Lord blessed me for doing the right thing by sending a slamer of a 9 pointer my way. The biggest I have got so far!
Just a thought for you about your sting them decoys look good and you will get the poachers with the help of the GW and his little buddy !!!
               Don

kingpossum

Reaction score
<font color="Black"></font><font size="5"></font>

i use to have the same problem, here in mo... i've got land out in the boonies i'm building a loghouse on, and the place is loaded with deer, turkeys, etc..the nearest neighbor is almost a mile away... the main gate is locked, but "somehow", every year it seems a "friend, of a friend who knows someone that has land there, gets the combination... i've found hunters at my gate looking the place over.. if they ask, i'll get the names, truck license, then tell them if they are welcome to hunt or not... if i find someone on my place, i inform them they've used their one and only chance, and Will shoot if i see them again..i also have signs posted all along my fenceline stating, "warning this property protected by .44 magnum..enter at your own risk !!! survivors will be proscuted !!!".... needless to say, after i put up the signs, word got round, and for the last 4 years i've had no problems whatever....local law inforcement knows , and i've had no problems with them either...

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
kingpossum,so was that you shooting at me last year:laffin-yellow: just kidding

kingpossum

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Passthru on 11:21 am on Aug. 8, 2002
kingpossum,so was that you shooting at me last year:laffin-yellow: just kidding<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font><font color="Black"></font><font size="5"></font>

i pretty much hit what i aim at, passthru...lol.. you'd know it... i see you're in mo too.. what location, and do you have any trouble on your land with poachers ?

gwhunter69

Reaction score
You should get the sign that says, "....survivors will be shot again!"

Ones

Reaction score
I have had problems in NE MO with the neighbors in the past but after catching the kid on an atv ruining my deer hunt, the sheriff came and took him home. 3 weeks later I catch his uncle squirrel hunting and a couple of hours later I catch the kid. They both were fined. No one gets a second chance in the future. My land is fenced, posted and marked with purple paint. Mighty unclear to some I guess!

coyote170

Reaction score
Some people just dont understand the ethics of hunting and how you
should conduct yourself our land was posted my step dad got shot lived
but wont hunt anymore Kingpossum is right in how he is handling the
problem any more you are afraid to even hunt your own place,take care!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom