Pocket Possibles

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Seems like all hunters carry something in their pocket that pertains to the sport, even when not actually bowhunting.

I read Fred Bear always carried a piece of Bowstring Wax and used it on the car key of the author of that piece when his door lock was hard to turn.....

I started carrying a 10' 1/4" pocket tape measure years ago to measure the height of my clamp on seat or a rubbed tree's dia or a bear's paw in canada, etc.  I have now worn out 3 or 4 of these tape mearures.  Everybody knows I carry it and where ever I go somebody is saying "measure this"...........

I'm meaning besides your pocket knife, (I've noticed over the years, if a guy don't carry a pocket knife, he ain't worth a darn  :E

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

i am in the same boat with ya on the tape measure thing as i have carried one for many years and like you said everone that knows you has to have you measure something.....lol
found that the ones made by Stanley are the best for lasting a while.

it comes in handy for all kinda stuff in the hunting world,
measuring turkey beards and spurs ,
measuring the spread of deer horns ,
tree diameter to see if your stand will fit around it when you decide to hunt from it ,
measuring those ''big'' rubs so you can brag to your hunting buddies....hehehe,

and oh yeah measuring race car tires for stagger.....hehehe ,

might even find a buckeye in my pocket too....hehehe ,

robNhood

Reaction score
A pocket full of lint!

O.K, how about a money clip. The clip has nothing to do with hunting. It was given to me by my wife several years ago.

Everytime I look at the clip, it reminds me of how she never holds me back from doing the things I love to do. She acctualy encourages me to go hunting more than I do.

spotty

Reaction score
    I have to agree with Tinhorn. I don't understand how a person gets by with out carrying a knife in their pocket. My wife even has a knife in her pocketbook.  But, if you're going to carry a knife, you need to carry a band-aid. I keep 2-3 band-aids in my wallet at all times. I've given alot of band-aids to others that have had accidents with knives more than I've used them for myself.   Just remember.... When you make use of a band-aid,  Make sure you replace it with a new one!
    Another item I keep with me all the time is a can opener. I think the military name for them is a P-38. The one I have is a bit different than the original military openers. It is larger and made of stainless. Other than opening cans, it has many uses. I like to think if it as "The Original Multitool".  I used to keep the opener on my key chain, but the sharp barb made a nice hole in my leg through my pocket and I had to make use of a band-aid.
   I now keep the opener in my wallet, next to the band-aids!

(Edited by spotty at 8:49 pm on Sep. 3, 2001)

Top Bottom