Points question

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I noticed that last year, the lowest point awarded for X3b was 2 with the highest being 5. Now, I have 3 points, so if I put in by myself, I should draw. But my buddy only has 2 points, which would average us out to 2.5 for the drawing. Does anyone know if the 2.5 points would still draw this tag or is this NOT how they do it? Thanks for your help.

barel74

Reaction score
I don't think having 3 is a sure thing. 3 will probably be the lowest, but definitly not a sure thing. I'm in the same boat with 2.5 for my bro and I, and we also put in for X3B. I think we'll have to wait for more max point guys to draw first

strip

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think it works like this. X amount of tags are reserved for max points guys. Seems like 90 / 10 Those go only to max point guys. If there are more applicants than tags(most all x zones) the drawing allotes the tags. The unsuccessful guys from the max point pool and all others with less than max get thrown into the drawing for the remaining 10 percent. So in theory a guy with one point less than max could not get a tag while a guy with zero points gets drawn. Everyone in the 10 percent pool is looked upon equally(points don't matter) That seem about right?

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Most max point guys are still applying for only the super-premium hunts like the Goodale hunt. So you can get some x zone tags with far fewer than max points for the 90% tags. I fully expect that over the next couple years we will see a surge in the number of points needed for the run-of-the-mill x zones as folks start to cash in their points for a good hunt now, rather than a maybe superhunt some time near the end of their lifespan. In my situation, I have one less than max points for deer because I drew an x zone with zero points on the first year you could start to earn points. So I will never get the Goodale hunt on points in my lifespan -- so I will use my points to plan a nice x zone hunt with friends in the near future, then start accumulating points all over again. I'll be tracking the points per draw zone every year now in the DFG booklet.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Strip,
Actually, the 90/10 is for 90% of the tags for the drawing, not just for max point applicants. Tags are award to the highest point value in the draw, working their way down in points until all tags are gone. The 10% is for the random draw. Last year they only had 6 max point first choice applicants. I was just curious if they used the average method for parties. Over the past years, 2 points was the lowest awarded, so with 3 points I should draw unless there's a spike in max point applicants, but I wasn't sure how it worked for 2.5 points.

Thanks guys!

Barkoff

Reaction score
Since this is regarding points I hope it won't be considered a hijack.

If one puts in for a premium tag every year and also applies for an elk draw, and then you draw say the premium deer tag, do you then lose the preference points for elk draws?

Thanks.

Sheepshooter

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barkoff @ Apr 17 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

If one puts in for a premium tag every year and also applies for an elk draw, and then you draw say the premium deer tag, do you then lose the preference points for elk draws?

Thanks.[/b]
All points are specie specific .

Barkoff

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sheepshooter @ Apr 17 2008, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barkoff @ Apr 17 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.[/b]
All points are specie specific .
[/b][/quote]

Thank you, sir.

BrandonA

Reaction score
I'd put a pretty good wager you'd get drawn with a 2.5 personally...

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I hope your right. I won't be going to WY this year, so i'm hoping to head back to X3B.

BDB and Backcountry, I really was hoping you would chime in with your "Statistically you should draw" reply. You guys always seem to have this answer.

barel74

Reaction score
" I'd put a pretty good wager you'd get drawn with a 2.5 personally..."

really?
I'm heading to Idaho Oct. 13-23 for elk. I guess I better not put in for x3b. I'd sure hate to draw, and not be able to go, and waste my points. Although, it sure would be nice to take a month break from work, and do 2 good, 2 week hunts, back to back

Top Bottom