Poloroid Instamatic

pietromarc

Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with Home-brew Poloroid instant game-cams??  A friend of mine just gave me 3 Poloroid Fun Packs last night which consist of 3packs of instant film and a Camera.The button for taking the picture seems to be mechanical and not electronic, so a solenoid maybe need here.It looks like the flash has enough balls to light up a dark woods too. I think the real challange will be the case!!!! it has to allow the poloroids to eject out of the magazine and pile up neetly all within the case.The shutter window in set back in the camera about 1 or 2" from the face of the flash. What do you all think?? I almost have an unlimited supply of film too. maybe these will never look right or hide  enough on a tree, so maybe a Stump-cam or rock-cam is in order here.:frankenstein:

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi pietromarc,
You'd definately need a solenoid or servo to push the shutter button.
A consideration.... you wouldn't want pics to be taken too quickly - I think they take something like 60 seconds or more to 'dry'  If the first one wasn't dry and the next pic landed on top of it, they'd probably stick together (they might stick anyways if it's hot out).  Don't know how well the 'instant' film works in the cold.
I'd bet you could make a little 'shute' that routes the ejected film under the cam - maybe a bit of aluminum roof flashing.
Do the cams have any power ON/OFF switch??  If so - what kind of battery life do you get?? (they do have batts??)

Archilochus

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have a polaroid instant camera, and with mine when you open the flash up it turns the camera on. With mine the batteries are built into the film, not sure if they are all like that though. I don't think it would hold up to well over time, and weather. It would be nice to have your film developed by the time you get to your cam. I think I'll stick with the digital setup.

pietromarc

Reaction score
coyotebandit and arch. you are right the fiim holds the battery and the camera is turned on by unfolding the flash. it has no other buttons to turn it on or off.it all sounds really challanging to make this work, but you guys know as well as i do that you  keep thinking about a project until you try it.its almost like a dare!! I am going to test it out tonight to see how well it will photograph at night and at what range is two far out. If it fails to reach out to 30 ft or so i will abandon the InstaTrail-cam. if it passes where can i purchase a solenoid? and are there any household,Auto,business items i can poach them from? also what do you think about attaching the PIR,switches,Bat,etc to the bottom of the camera and then hanging it in one of those heavy clear waterproof boating bags? the pictures would just drop  to the bottom and the shutter offset would not be a problem. I have no bears in my area and i would hope to hide it very very well because a bag offers no security what so ever!!

coyotebandit

Reaction score
pietromarc,

I think you would need a very strong soleniod to fire the Polaroid with the flash, I know the one I have has a lot of resistance. If you make the enclosure large enough, the pics could just fall into the bottom of the case. You could use a solenoid from power locks, or trunk release, they would have enough force to press the shutter, but they also use a lot more juice. Thinking back to my night-time polaroid pics, 30ft might be pushing it, but if it's well placed 30 ft is plenty for a game cam.

pietromarc

Reaction score
I am back from a weekend of testing!! The Poloroid Instamatic failed all the tests! Its useless at night unless you keep it 6 feet from your target. and anything past 20 ft during the day too. OH WELL!!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I've always been curious about the potential of 'instant' cams for trail-cam applications.

When experimenting, failures are just as - if not more - important than successes.  Sure seem to have more of 'em anyway :-((

Archilochus

Top Bottom