Ported Barrels

Applbit

Reaction score
Lately i have seen alot of barrels with ports about 10" from the end. I know they say its to reduce recoil. But if your letting gasses out before the shot leaves the barrel then you are sacraficing velocity/range, right?

I'll keep the kick and some range.

Jay

Reaction score
According to what I've read the shot column has already reached it's top speed before passing the ports. Venting the gasses up reduces barrel jump.

rlwright

Reaction score
The porting does work, at least in my mossberg. I really notice a difference with the 3 1/2 shells.

The size of the load determines the velocity. The shotshell has a predetermined potential energy (powder charge) that turns into kinetic energy during combustion. After combustion the friction of the barrel, then the air resistence and gravity decrease the velocity. Theoretically a shorter barrel will increase the velocity, and a longer barrel will decrease the velocity. The velocity difference between a 24" and 30" barrel is negligable compared with the pattern difference. Theres alot more to this that I don't know then I've mentioned.  

mrdux

Reaction score
I'm sure the ports help on recoil with lead shells like turkey loads.I have a Mossberg 835 that is scoped and only used for turkeys.Have any of you been in a blind or pit with someone shooting a ported barrel?They will bust the eardrums of EVERYONE in the pit!!They should NOT be used on waterfowl guns unless you like to hunt alone.Same goes for any barrel lenght less than 26 inches.

Top Bottom