Possible new hunter

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
One of the guys I fish with called me yesterday to ask about deer hunting. We have fished together for years and he knows that during the fall I am hunting and not fishing. He recently took a week long gun safety course that was a requirement for his job. He has also purchased a 22 rifle and has been going to the range and he thinks hunting would be fun.
He asked me a lot of questions and here are a few.
How long do you think it will take before I am able to take my first buck?
Can I hunt local public land and expect to be successful?
What rifle should I buy?
There were a lot more questions but you get the idea. How do you answer those? The rifle question isn't that hard, I would just recommend a common caliber in a bolt gun and he would be good to go. Probably 308 or 7mm-08 for a new guy but we could argue about that forever. The tougher ones are how long do I need to hunt before I would kill a buck? I have no idea. I know people who hunted over 10 years before being successful and I know guys who took a buck on their first hunt. How good is the local public land? It is CROWDED. I hunted about 20 days last year to take my buck. My son hunted 2 days.
Some of the things I will need to point out it isn't just taking a hunter safety course and buying a gun. There is a lot more time and money invested than that. I think that is where the spouse sometimes says "no wait a minute". Binoculars cost how much? You will be gone on your days off for how many weeks? I hate to discourage anyone from trying to hunt but I think he needs a realistic idea of what it takes.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve had some fishing buddies express interest in going hunting with me, but when I tell them about what you need, guns, licenses, validations, etc.. A lot of them think its too much work and too complicated. I think a lot of people think deer hunting is just grabbing a rifle, sitting in a tree stand, and picking which big buck you want to take while it walks 30 yards away. Maybe it’s like that back east, but not on public land here in Southern Ca

JohnCo

Reaction score
Fishing I expect to catch something every trip, hunting not so much. That could be a tough thing to get used to. Before he spends a lot of money buying everything, I'd advise him to go hunting with someone else to see if it's something he'd enjoy.

Unless he goes to someone elses spot, he probably won't shoot a buck his first year. That's just the facts.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I have known him a long time and I can loan him some of the items he will need. Not a gun but certainly a lot of other things. It was interesting in our conversation last night he is familiar with some of the local forest land that I hunt. He just never thought about hunting there. He fishes some lakes in the general area and does do a fair amount of hiking there. He didn't think about hunting it. I don't think he has ever been there in October. He would then realize all the campgrounds are full and everyone has a gun.

Last year while traveling to and from camp some hikers asked my what I was doing? I said deer hunting. They felt it was wrong to hunt anywhere in the national forest where you might encounter hikers.??? Can someone tell me a national forest that does not allow hikers I guess I need to hunt there. I can see the signs now.

NO HIKING ALLOWED RESERVED FOR HUNTERS ONLY.

They weren't even from California.

Last edited:

dthome

Reaction score
Years ago, I was hunting turkeys, and ran into a woman jogger. She saw me with my shotgun and camo clothing and said, “I sure hope you’re playing paintball or something!” I just smiled and walked off.

Last year, I ran into some miners (also women) during deer season. They asked what I was hunting, and I told them deer. They were pretty upset because they liked Bambi, and didn’t want me to accidentally shoot them while mining. I told them not to worry, as I was planning to hunt far away from them. I wished them luck finding gold, and walked off. They yelled, “we hope you don’t get a deer!” I laughed to myself because that’s most often what happens.

Seriously, though, I get really nervous when I run across non-hunters when I’m hunting. It only takes a few angry letters to the Forest Service to start a movement that ends my hunting rights. I always hide when I see others because of this. Sad.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
A couple years ago in D14 my buddy and I drove by a group of female off roaders taking a lunch break on this trail. We were wearing camo, and man did they give us the dirtiest look.. like we were wearing KKK robes or something... Some people just don’t like hunters/and or hunting. Recently I was talking to a woman that works next-door to me, and I mentioned coyote hunting out in the desert where she lives. She looked apalled, and asked “why the hell would you shoot coyotes!?” I explained to her the damage coyotes can do to livestock, including dogs. Her reply was “well people should keep their dogs inside or watch them” and if a coyote eats someones chickens than “too bad, the coyotes have a right to eat too”. I calmly told her she was right that they have a right to eat, but I have a right to shoot them too.. Some people just don’t get it.

TheGDog

Reaction score
And ALL those same fockers.... that throw MASSIVE Haterade your direction for posting up a successful Hunting photo like on your FB account... when someone ELSE they know... posts up a picture... where they are standing in a boat on the ocean... the deck covered in blood and fish... easily more pounds than a deer... all you see in the comments section? "Nice! So when are you inviting me over for Sushi? :) " and all sorts of other verbal high-fives.

The IMMENSE Hypocrisy of that invokes such strong Anger in me, you have no idea!!! Here I am... somebody that went from never did it before... to heck yeah I put in all this SH*T-TON of work and I made it happen!!! And they can't show any love... But you got these richies over here that can afford boats, or can afford to charter a sport-fishing boat.. and they go out 1 day... or maybe 3 days tops.

Even if it's not your thing... I look at it like ya gotta at least admire the effort and dedication to making it happen, ya know?

Bugs me to no end how all these people (seems to only be those who grew up in metro areas)... if the creature has fur and has any amount of possible "cuteness" to it at all... they will come down on you like a mother-bleepin' ton of bricks with the haterade... then turn around seconds later and post pics of their Steak Dinner or whatever.

Seriously makes me want to "thin the herd", if you know what I'm saying.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Years ago, I was hunting turkeys, and ran into a woman jogger. She saw me with my shotgun and camo clothing and said, “I sure hope you’re playing paintball or something!” I just smiled and walked off.

Last year, I ran into some miners (also women) during deer season. They asked what I was hunting, and I told them deer. They were pretty upset because they liked Bambi, and didn’t want me to accidentally shoot them while mining. I told them not to worry, as I was planning to hunt far away from them. I wished them luck finding gold, and walked off. They yelled, “we hope you don’t get a deer!” I laughed to myself because that’s most often what happens.

Seriously, though, I get really nervous when I run across non-hunters when I’m hunting. It only takes a few angry letters to the Forest Service to start a movement that ends my hunting rights. I always hide when I see others because of this. Sad.

Those types? When I've run into them online... you know what I tell them?

I'll tell them "You know what brother? I was going to be quite content to just hunt <???> and take only <?> of them. But now... specifically because of you.. I will make it my mission to go back in there and kill a <???> too.. expressly because of YOU and your rude actions here today. Know that another creature will die, directly because of your actions."

Bankrunner

Reaction score
One of the guys I fish with called me yesterday to ask about deer hunting. We have fished together for years and he knows that during the fall I am hunting and not fishing. He recently took a week long gun safety course that was a requirement for his job. He has also purchased a 22 rifle and has been going to the range and he thinks hunting would be fun.
He asked me a lot of questions and here are a few.
How long do you think it will take before I am able to take my first buck?
Can I hunt local public land and expect to be successful?
What rifle should I buy?
There were a lot more questions but you get the idea. How do you answer those? The rifle question isn't that hard, I would just recommend a common caliber in a bolt gun and he would be good to go. Probably 308 or 7mm-08 for a new guy but we could argue about that forever. The tougher ones are how long do I need to hunt before I would kill a buck? I have no idea. I know people who hunted over 10 years before being successful and I know guys who took a buck on their first hunt. How good is the local public land? It is CROWDED. I hunted about 20 days last year to take my buck. My son hunted 2 days.
Some of the things I will need to point out it isn't just taking a hunter safety course and buying a gun. There is a lot more time and money invested than that. I think that is where the spouse sometimes says "no wait a minute". Binoculars cost how much? You will be gone on your days off for how many weeks? I hate to discourage anyone from trying to hunt but I think he needs a realistic idea of what it takes.
If he enjoys the outdoors he should enjoy hunting. I'd tell him the odd's of a successful harvest have a lot of variables. Tell him it's like golf in that you have to gear up in order to play and you have to enjoy it because the odds of hitting a hole in one or taking a deer are not that good. Good news is you'll get better as you go and when you do harvest a deer you'll have the bonus of venison for dinner. You'll can't eat a score card!
Everyone says when you get a buck down that's when the real work starts, tell him that's when the real fun starts because you get to take pride in your job of field dressing and
caring for the venison that will be on the dinner table.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom