Pre-fab Metal Box

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Well I finally finished one of my pre-fabed metal box's.  My buddy with the metal fab shop kinda lost interest on me so I finished one or the prototypes just to see what they are going to look like.  I'm pretty pleased with the way they are turning out.  All the holes are pre-punched and there ia a shelf for the camera to sit on.  I just painted this one but when I finally get the good ones they will be powdercoated inside and out.

I need to add a little foam to move the camera a bit.  the box is right i just ran out of foam.

The led is mounted in the electrical box with a lens from Jameco covering the hole on the lid.  It gives pretty good side vision of the led too.  I have some 1/8" weather strip to add to the box and still need to add a bit of silicone in the cormers.  

The tabs welded to the back of the box can be used with either a 1" nylon strap or a 1" x 1/4" steel bar with a chain welded to one end and a hole in the other ot lock to.  The hasp also locks

vman

Reaction score
Looks nice.  Are you planning on selling the boxes?

davered1

Reaction score
AEH,

Nice looking box.  is that hole big enough for the light sensor? Just curious if it will let enough light in in the winter? Would be nice to get away from forced flash, I m too lazy to do it myself!!

let me know when you have some spares

:smiley-thumbs-up:

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
You have to remember Dave, WE HAVE DAYLIGHT DURING THE WINTER DOWN HERE. :rolleyes-green:

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
vman,  I was planning on selling them at cost to get some volume to get the cost down.  Like I said he got busy with a big order and I quit bugging him.  I'll bug him some more in a little while if there is a lot of interest.  He has never given me a price, just estimated between $20 and $25

Davered1,  In february when I built my first one I was showing it off and thought it was'nt working.  had no film in the camera and nothing.  It was taking pictures just not flashing.  The holes on that cam were a little smaller than these, so I'm assuming they are fine.  It will flash inside but not outside.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Very Professional looking!  They ought to work pretty good

Tinhorn

JoelM

Reaction score
AEH,

Is that a ms20 sensor??? I like the way you have it mounted. Is that a outlet box with a hole in the side and the sensor glued in it? Give me some details please. Looks very professional

Thanks

Joel

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
JoelM,

That is a single Gang shallow depth receptical box.  It is 1.1" deep.  For this enclosure design I made the metal box the right depth to stack two of them on top of each other and keep the distance from the board to the fresnal lens at 1 1/8". In my testing that gives the max sensitivity.   I used two of them because you can just hot glue the ms20 board flat to the top of one using no special standoffs or anything. I just drilled through the mounting holes on the bottom one and used long metal screws from the back of the box to sinch them together.  I wanted to get everything off the lid and also wanted to cover the sensor board.  My timer board is mounted in the lower box with the wires to the ms20 going through on the inside.

Here is a really easy method for mounting the ms20 also.  I dosen't get the wires off the lid though.  The same shallow gang box just mount one to the lid for the ms20 and one to the back for your timer. Glue the ms20 th the bottom of the receptical box and the distance to the lens is perfect.  I have had some detect out to 65' with method but most are around 40 to 45'

Latest Posts

Top Bottom