Pre Rut Scents

Buck-eye

Reaction score
This will be my first year using attractant. I was torn between using foot pads or scent bombs. What does every one here use? Can you use too many scents?

Also - when walking to your stand, how far away do you start to apply scent?

MNHunter

Reaction score
Many bucks will react differently to different types of scents and strengths. When using attractant scents, I like to be cautious because the big bucks may become wary if overused. If a buck feels something isn't right it will circle downwind of the scent to get a better smell and likely smell you. I find it safe to moisten a cottonball with subdominant buck urine. A subdominant buck is no threat to a Dominant and the bigger bucks of the area will likely take interest as to who this new buck in the area is, regardless of the time of year. I also try to use as many products as I can to be as scent free as possible just in case a buck does circle downwind.

Good Luck!

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
buck-eye.. The pre-dominant or dominate buck will work pretty good in the pre-rut.. I will use Tinks 69 doe-in-heat during the rut. I take a few old 35mm film cannisters (or pill bottles) and put a couple of cotton balls in them. Pour your scent on top and cap them.. Just set them out wherever you like and freshen them up every now and then.. Can even hang them from a tree if you like...

3D4ME

Reaction score
Buck-eye

I would avoid the footpads. Even after you take them off there is scent on the bottom of your boots and can mess up the trail you are trying to make. And if you step in the mud while waking into your stand it can ruin the pad. If you really want to lay a scent trail use a drag type system. Make sure your boots are scent free and use a drag that is long enough that it will not kick back up on your pants leg. A line of three or four foot should be long enough. After you reach your stand you then can hang it up and use it as a positioner for your shot. I have had excellent luck with a product called Pee Willie Wick. It is a 24” cotton wick in a glass container that will hold any scent. Think about an old kerosene lantern, wick twist up and down, it is that type of thing. I have used deer scent, cover scent, food scent and it works great. Just pull out the wick and hang it up on a limb. When you are finished just wind it back up and you are gone.
Early in the season I would use either a food scent or straight doe urine. I have had several negative responses using Rut products too early in the season. And I do think you can put out too much scent. Think bout when you come in the house after your wife has cleaned up using a lot of cleaner. The chemical smell almost will take your breath. A deer can smell 100 times better than you can. I think he will have the reaction if too much scent is out. Just my two cents, let me know how it goes!!

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Good Points by all here...

In and around my Hunting Stand I dont use Scents at all... I want to smell like nothing is there but the good ole outdoors and dont want any Lures to put a deer on his toes and cause him to work downwind of my location... Instead I place a fasle scent line well upwind of my stand location. approx 100 yards or so.

Be surpised how many reactions you will see with deer working downwind of that scent trail and work there way to it ever so cautiously. I have seen alot of Good deerr mosey rite in head down, But for every one of those theres been 5-10 that backed out. try it some time, use it to your advantage.

Scents for me are all about timing, If your ahead or behind the window where deer react to them is hard to depict.

another advatage is there so focused on upwind and honing in on the scent. there ripe for an ambush as it draws them past your stand. Position in thick cover and draw them past you works very well.

also rattling with 2 people draws them past and alot of times when there non aggresive and Inquisitive they will hold back hard and wind an area.

They work and I have had good Luck with them, But as others have said. to Much is a problem. a Lil goes along ways IMHO.

Let us know how you do

Dan "Obh"

troll

Reaction score
I've used Roger Raglin's 155" tarsal gland scent. It seems to work any time of the year to bring the dominant buck around to see who is leaving their scent.

hardertr

Reaction score
I have been trying something over the past couple of months that seems to work pretty well. Just an experiment I wanted to try WELL before deer season.

I took a couple of T-shirts washed in fabric softener out to the lease. Both of my brush stands are located along a fences deer are crossing in several places. I put the shirts on the fense 200 yards on either side of my stand. NOW I have a GOOD trail right in front of my stands. I figure they would smell the shirts and end up crossing between them. It seems to work.

3D4ME

Reaction score
Hardertr;

There is another factor involved with the T-shirt thing. You are correct about the scent part of the funneling. But the scent will only last a few days. Nature will eventually wash the scent out of the shirts. What makes it last is the movement. You probably used white shirts to hang on the fence. This white shirt flapping around in the breeze has helped move the deer your way. You can reroute deer the same way with the plastic bags you get from the Grocery store or Wally World. If we have a major deer trail with a fork in it, and can not cover both runs, then out comes the bags. Just hang the bag on a limb in the middle of the trail close to the intersection and go set up on the other run. The deer come down the trail see the bag blowing in the breeze, turn and come down the run the stand is located on. After the hunt just swing by and pick up the bag. The deer will then return to their normal patterns.
We have also use the blue bags to keep the deer out of our food plots early in the season. After we have planted we tie up several of the blue bags around the food plot. The more the better. Something about the blue really spooks the deer and keeps them out of the food plot. This works for turkeys too. After the food plot gets up we take the bags down. It normally takes about ten to twelve days before the deer come back. Give the bags a try, they are a little cheaper than T-shirts. Good Luck!!

coyhunter

Reaction score
the best scent is no scent...........although a guy i know sprays a little vanilla in the air as a cover scent.....i like the bag idea to reroute the deer........ i heard of a guy who sets up a bunch of cheap alarm clocks to go off all at the same time to stir the bush up...........neat idea

wireone577

Reaction score
I agree with the theory that "no scent is the best scent" In my early days, i used to use scents and hardly never saw any deer from my stand. Now i dont use any and am sure to be scent free. I always see deer from my stand and they never know i'm there. Of course it will depend on a lot of variables for your area. Hunting pressure is probably the biggest variable.

steel

Reaction score
I use to use scents a whole lot with some luck sometimes. I killed my second biggest buck ever a gaint 23' wide 13pt that came over 200 yards down wind with his nose in the air right to my tinks 69 scent covered cotten balls.I have had several bucks follow short 100 yard drag scent trails I laid right to my shooting lanes. Then I have had nothing even act like it smelled the scent I put out for months at a time? What I have never had happen in 20 years of bow hunting was have a deer spook from scent I laid and run off so thats good anyway. I think the main problem with deer urine scents is they are being mass produced to bring in the wrong kind of $$Bucks to the companys selling them.I find it real hard to beleive that there is so much Doe in heat urine out there when they only come into heat for 24hrs once a month for fall only.Some companys sell "Fresh' doe in heat from this season in Sept?? I know they can use light and hormones to bring some does in eary but how many companys really know how and have the process do this and then do you just guess they are in heat? I would be surpised if more than 10% of the doe in heat urine on the market being sold is the real thing. With that said plain doe urine and buck urine can still attract deer as like a dog deer notice every scent maker,scrape, and any other scent other deer leave behind in their area. Next problem would be keeping it from spoiling. If you pee in a bottle and leave it sitting on a shelf in you house for 4 months then open it does it smell the same or has it changed and become real rank smelling from spoilage and breakdown. Most companys sell 100% urine nothing added. Sounds great but after trapping fro 20 years and making my own trapping lures I know a Preservative needs to be added to aleast slow the spoilage/breakdown of the urine to at least a few months extending its life and fresh smell.There are a few companys that do add preservatives to their lure as they know this fact, but most do not and counter this by saying their lures are pure 100% urine which sounds good to the commerial market place.While this all sounds bad you can be smart when buying your lures and be ahead of the rest or the world. First shop around on the net order fresh days old urine from real deer farms many collect and ship same day so it is real fresh urine when you get it keep it cool when not in use. Only order after mid Sept or during hunting season from these farms when bucks go hard antlered for buck urine. Same companys do make lures the right way read all you can and use common sense for what you read before you believe at all.Last if you are not a rreal trusting guy like me who has had so so luck with commerical lures/scents you can start making your own its real easy and I have far more luck with deer reacting to my own made scents vs ones I have bought in the past. Here is how I do it: First many online trapping supplys carry everything needed from Preservatives to little one oz glass jars wide mouth for gels and bottles and spray bottles for liquid. To start I buy my urine fresh from a small deer farm he will collect my urine and ship same day. When it gets here 2 days or so I add a odorless Preservative to the urine right then. I the add a few drops of deer musk $3.50 per once goes a long ways only a few drops per oz of lure.Then I can leave it a liquid or go to a odorless oil base,a paste base or gel power. I use gel most of the time myself. I just like the way it sticks to stuff and last for days on a scrape. On cost I find it is about the same or alittle cheaper depending on how much scent a guy uses during season. On urine I use buck in rut most all the time with great luck even with does. There is that time(about one week) in eary Nov when the bucks go full wide open rut right just before the does are ready to bread here that the does seem to hide from the bucks as they are driving the does crazy.At my place the does disappear from my green fields and the bucks are roaming all over the area looking for them. I use doe urine then as the does will leave if the small that fresh buck urine in the area. In the end this is just the way I do my lures I am not saying I am the smartest lure maker out there it just has been working for me with more luck on a regular time table than store bought lures which I have had great to no luck with even different bottles of the same brand. I don't expect every deer to come running out of his/her way to smell the lure. When placed on or within a few feet of a deer trail in a shooting lane I do expect a deer to aleast stop and take notice before moving on giving me a chance for a shot. Sometimes you can get a deer to follow a scent drag if he or she is in the mood to do so.

archer55

Reaction score
I have found that to be scent free is usually the best; used too early in the season, most urine scents will spook the does and of course if they spook, they leave a scent of their own that I have seen other deer run into like a wall. They will put their nose in the air, bring the tail up and swap ends immediately getting out of Dodge.

During the rut, an estrous scent works well in conjunction with rattling to bring the big bucks in.

If you have been putting out yellow caller (corn) all summer, a corn scent product will work okay early on to bring in young deer and some does.

WI BUCKHUNTER

Reaction score
I agree with the scent free and keep the wind in your face strategy during the early season when the deer are still in their summer feeding patterns. Toward the end of October I will try to fill my Doe tag and drain the bladder into a jar. Keep it refridgerated and I usually have enough fresh scent for the rut when the bucks are out cruising for some hot scent. During the rut, drag rags and fresh urine along scrape lines have sometimes worked for me.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom