pre scouting d-13 in los psdres

runninbuck51

Reaction score
Hello all,for anyone that hunts the d-13 zone,Ive been doing a lot of early scouting in the los padres d-13 zone. There are some awsome bucks out there this year,this time of year they are easy to find.You will be really impressed if you get out and have a look c,good luck to all and have a safe hunt.

blazintowers

Reaction score
runninbuck51, care to elaborate any more on where to scout in d-13? Got any pictures? Im from SantaClarita so I will be doing some scouting in d-11 and d-13, if you want to hook up or anyone else for that matter, Ive got a 4x and ready to go anytime....Blazin

D-Zone

Reaction score
I'll be up there this weekend in the Los Padres NF D13 doing some scouting and plugging some bunnies. Hopefully I'll be able to see some nice looking bucks. I'll try and get some pics if i do .

runninbuck51

Reaction score
Hello Newbie,getting the pics. of the big bucks will be no problem if you can keep a steady hand--but if your like me when you see them you will get the allovers so bad you cant hold still. Have a fun and safe outing----cya.

Rookies

Reaction score
And what area was this? Hint... Hint

Hey has anyone hunted the otherside of D-13 which would be the A zone. That side looks kinda thicken with brushes, I was wondering if anyone had any luck up that way.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I didn't know the Los Padres NF extend out to D13. I've always thought Los Padres NF was only in A-zone.

L2H

runninbuck51

Reaction score
Hello Rookies,the other side is dry and dusty--mostly private land--pesistance and a good water hole would be the trick--but have seen some very nice bucks there also--give Calentie ridge a try --its down soda lake road in the painted rock area--lots of wild pig in this area also.

Rookies

Reaction score
Isn't the painted rock area up by Cachuma lake on the 154? Thanks for the information though. It's well appreciated.

Rookies

Reaction score
L2H. If im not wrong Los Padres National forest runs through to the left side of the 5 freeway, running into the D-13 Zone.

Jake

Reaction score
Live2hunt,

D13 is basically from the 166 or so to the North, the 126 to the South, and between the 33 and the 5, LPNF is right in the middle. The official boundaries can be located on the CA DFG web site.

I've only been out once, but will be heading out regularly over the coming weeks. I have a bunch of unfinished honey dos that I've been working on.

I noticed that the D13 tags seem to be moving faster this year. I still havent decided whether I will try and trade my D13 tag for another hunt that will be less likely to be affected by fire closures.

Good luck,

D-Zone

Reaction score
I was out in d13 this past weekend. Seen lots of fresh sign
, it was really hot though probabaly in the high 80's or 90's up there. I'll be heading out again this weekend.

runninbuck51

Reaction score
Hi Rookies,if you give me your location--I can give you directions on how to get to painted rock---ty.

runninbuck51

Reaction score
Loye,there is a good place called elkorn valley-- it is also on 166 about 3 miles weat of maricopa turn left on elkorn valley road about 3 miles west of maricopa---some private land--but mostly blm--you need to pick up a blm map--as there several places to hunt in the kern county area. I f I knew where you live I could give you better directions.

runninbuck51

Reaction score
Hi Rookies,take hwy.33 from oujui to hyw 166 through ventacopa--turn right on 166--headed south roughly 10 miles and you will pass ceroneresto road--1/4mile to the left is soda lake road--follow it down 8 to 10 miles and you will see signs that say caliente ridge and painted rock--bring lots of water because it gets very warm--happy hunting and good luck.

Rookies

Reaction score
So this must be A zone. Is it still within the Los Padres National Park, and can you hunt in this area? Thanks for the information though.

Rookies

Reaction score
Looks like a good spot. Maybe i'll be up there next weekend. I believe that's BLM land, after checking out the maps. So Runninbuck where are you hunting this year? Good luck, and thanks for the 411.

runninbuck51

Reaction score
I have a secret spot up at the old maricopa marble mine/the place has been great for me the last two years--it is in D-13 also.

Top Bottom