Predator Pics

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Does anyone use bait or anything else to lure in fox and coyotes for pics? I know we have plenty of coyotes around but they're VERY elusive. I still haven't been able to call any in while hunting them but yet I see lots of tracks in the snow each winter. I'd like to try to get some pics of them and was wondering if anyone uses any special techniques to bringing them in front of the camera this time of year.

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
I'm with you Bob, I'd like to get a coyote and/or a fox on film.  Havent had any luck yet!!!  I've got tons of racoon pics I could sell ya!!!:toothless:

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Come down here. We might even give you the yote after you take its pic. :smiley-thumbs-up:

davered1

Reaction score
bob

something thats smells. you can use skunk essence orbetter yet ,beaver castor.everything will stop at that. beavers are a favorite snack of all predators

(Edited by davered1 at 9:46 pm on June 26, 2002)

thehairlessone

Reaction score
a friend of mine had a bunch of meat he was going to throw out so i put it in a bucket in my garage for a bout a week and set it out in front of the cameras and i got some coyotes and a racoon and a whole BUNCH of magpies.

rick

Stever

Reaction score
It was davered who posted the most logical idea yet. If you place meat out the birds will get it by sight. Because birds can't smell (turkey vultures exception) use a scent to lure them in otherwise the falsee picutres of Blue jays will irritate you. My advise is to set up and walk way for a week. Here are my coyotee pics.

(Edited by Stever at 9:23 am on June 27, 2002)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
A few of us built a "Squeaker" for about $20 using a RS digital recorder (do a search for Squeaker for the posts - Arch has his circuit on his site I believe)

You can record an animal in distress and the Squeaker will sound off for 10 to 20 seconds every 15 or 20 minutes and attract predators......

Gumboyaya built a couple and said he's going to record a buck grunt on his this bowseason

This bobcat is my best pix so far, I'm proud of this pix, you mite guess.

I'm going to try the stinky oil too, good idea about the birds not being a pest with smell attractants

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
Hey Tinhorn,

Did you get any pics with your squeaker? Was it out alone or with some help(scent,bait)?

I put mine out with some bait last winter and couldn't even get a pic of a MAGPIE!!

Did you set your camera up right at the squeaker or upwind from it a ways?

Let me know, I was going to throw mine away but maybe I should trade you for a homemade one!!:>)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Dave (or Ed)

I hang the Squeaker on a limb and point a cam looking right at it about 10 or 15' away but I put the cam real low to the ground, like 1' high.  Most of the time, it's on a loggin' road or trail that I hope a predator will run down so it'll run by the cam (Squeaker on one side, cam on other side).   I had the squeaker out all last week  between 2 fields that had a wooded lane connecting them only this time I took some freezer burned fish and crumpled it at the site, not worrying about my scent (like I should)  I haven't got that film developed yet but it only took 8 pix's.  I recorded a Quail in Distress for this place, the others were all a rodent in distress.

That bobcat came in to the squeaker (I guess, you never know really) and I got a bunch of coon pix's using it, along with a few (probably accidental) possum.  Several canine's ran thru and I'm not sure if they were dogs or coyotes, they are a blurr or almost out of the pix.  I also seem to get more night time pix's of nothing, either they ran too fast for the slow Owl PF's flash or they were owls flying by searching for the animal.  For some reason, I've not got any pix's of Blue Jays (these Jays are like your magpies)

I would like to place several cams farther back from the Squeaker, expecting some cats and coyotes to set back and study the situation when they hear the noise but am afraid the "Enemy" would make quite a haul if he heard the sound too.....

Gizz has the commercial unit too, he says it sounds like tuning the old AM radios,  is that what yours does?

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
Yea,

It doesn't really soundlike anything ,medium pitched squeal every 5 seconds. Maybe I had mine setup to close,mine was always within 10 ft of squealer. I put some deer fur down to look like small animal, didn't work.I like the across the road theory, they should be more concerned about the squeal and may not notice the cam.

Will try it

thanks

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
Tinhorn, i have one of my squeekers out right now and should get some pics of whatever in a week or so. I have the woodpecker in distress out. The only other time I checked it my camera took a few pics but I had a bad white out from the flash and couldnt tell what triggered? I've fixed the problem and hope now to get something.

I've built two and really like em. I got one recorded with my doe bleat call and will try it in a few weeks to see if a doe or fawn will come in. The does are just now dropping their fawns down here in Lousianan so I've kinda been waitn for that.
Will let you know results.
Thanks
Gumbo

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom