Preditor calls

EVAN III

Reaction score
      Just wondering if anyone has ever used a diaphram call for callin yotes? How do you like it?

EVAN III

jim in illinois

Reaction score
Evan,
 I carry a hen turkey call with me and use it to make some low volume calls with,  it kinda works on the same principle as a mouse squeeker,  very quiet.  I think it works pretty good for that but I've never tried to do anything loud with them before.  Let me know how it goes when you try it.  Jim

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Evan,

My old girlfriend used one that...Oh!!! You mean that kind of diaphram!  Sorry my mistake!  

MarinePMI
(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

songdog

Reaction score
I use them for bobcats in particular.  You don't have to use your hands and you can remain virtually motionless.  I also think that you can make a wider variety of sounds with a diaphram call than with any of the other internal or external reed calls.

The only downside is that you can't get the volume that you can out of some other calls (but still plenty loud for the most part) and if you call for 30 minutes or so your mouth is going to be pretty sore at the end of the day.   Other than that, I love them.

redfox18

Reaction score
I have never tried one,be interesting to see how it goes for you

Varmint Al

Reaction score
I have used a diaphragm call quite a bit and it works very well. It leaves your hands free and you can still call while you are looking through the scope. I have a section about the diaphragm call on my Hunting Page. It also includes wav files of some of the sounds you can make with it. Here is the URL:

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ahunt.htm#Diaphragm

EVAN III

Reaction score
      Thanks for the responces. I was mainly looking for something to reduce the amount of movement while calling. Sounds like I have the right idea.

Another question, I have heard people using turkey calls (diaphragm) for yotes. Does anyone make a distress call? If not what is the best turkey call to use for preditors?

EVAN III

MarinePMI

Reaction score
EvanIII,

All joking aside, I have heard from people that use a plain old diaphram turkey call will inadvertantly bring in mountain lions.  Maybe it will bring in 'yotes as well?  Foulshot and I both had an open reed call that was a turkey call and with a narrower reed (included) it was supposed to be a bark and yip type caller.  Maybe the same modification could be done to a turkey diaphram call?  I'd be curious if anyone has tried modifying a diaphram call.  Hmmm...

MarinePMI

songdog

Reaction score
The only difference between an elk diaphram, turkey diaphram, coyote diaphram, etc. if the thickness of the call (laytex) and the picture on the outside of the packaging.

More layers will make it harder to blow but louder.  Single layers of laytex will be easier to blow but quieter.

The elk bugle vs. rabbit distress vs. quail call (yup, they work great for this) vs. turkey cluck differences are all in how you call.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight SongDog, I guess I'll pick up a turkey call this weekend and start practicing.  My neighbors already think I'm beating a dog with one hand and strangling a rabbit with the other.  Guess I'll try and raise their eyebrows a little bit more, eh?  LOL!

songdog

Reaction score
If you're ever staying in a pretty populated campground (tents are the best), remember to cut loose on one of those calls about 3:00am.

yotegetter

Reaction score
You know I have a PC-3 Johnny Stewart internal reed that you can change the sound with very minimal movement. The only movement I make is biting on it to vary the sound. It seems to work very well and your mouth wont' get sore.

I have a diaphram call that I use every now and then.

Just my .02

EVAN III

Reaction score
      Thanks again for the advise. I guess I'll have to pick up a couple, and take them out in the field. After hours of practice calling in my house cats. It works, really. Try sitting in your front yard and calling the neighbors cats. The neighbors may not approve, but remember the best time to call is after dark. * LOL* . Hey you'll probly end up calling in a neighbor or two.  But these beast are a little testy so be sure to have your backup with you.

OK, back to the subject, Thanks again for the advise.

EVAN III

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Cat the other white meat. :kitty:
I don’t thing my peaple in my apartments would like all that much if I stated to practice calling at night on fluffy. I already get some strange looks when I come home from hunting.
:jaw-drop::wow-eyes:

yotegetter

Reaction score
I always seem to attract the little kids around the block trying to look over the wall see what's going on. I get alot of crows coming by too.

Cats like it best when I put my decoy out in the middle of the yard.

Top Bottom