Prevention of Cam Theft

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
This may be way beyond the scope of this site, but Brian and several others surprise me on a daily basis with their innovative ideas.  I was wondering if it would be possible to change the date/time stamp to something more exclusive.  Maybe in addition to the time/date stamp.  Like your name, or a serial number or some combination to identify your cam by the pics being developed.  Again, this may be way to difficult, but I thought I would give it a shot!

T

the hairless one

i dont know if its possible or not but it sure is a good idea. What if you took a picture of your information and then took the negative and cut it out and put it on the front of your lense? Would that work? It might superimpose the info on each picture that your camera takes.

rick

Archilochus

Reaction score
The time stamp uses microscopic little LEDs to imprint the time - you can see them if you look carefully in the film door.
The text of a note mounted on the lens would have to be ultra small!  Think of how large the area covered by the pic is compared to the size of the lens.  Text that small might not even show up.
Now, maybe Brian or Jaggermax could figure a way to change the characters normally displayed as the date into some unique code ...Hmmmm.......

Archilochus

bat

Reaction score
One thought I had was to make a sign with my identification like:  ''If this film is being developed by anybody beside ''bat'' please call this number and hold on to this film and the information of who is developing it, this camera has been stolen''.  Just a thought.  You would have to take the first picture of the sign each time you use it.

T

the hairless one

but what if you could make a tiny little thing that was clear with a little message? Would that work?

rick

woodsman

Reaction score
I don't think its posible, I do think bat is onto something.

BackWoods

Reaction score
Bat I had the same thought as you.  The problem is when you get your pics developed if the person doing it doesnt look through your pics the only one they will see is the very last pic.
I had a tresspasser this year and was worried about losing my camera.  So I made a sign up and when I got some pics developed I asked the lady if this would work.  Her response was depending on who was working.  She said that she always looks through the game camera pics, but some of the others dont look through any of the pics.

TmKarren

Reaction score
I like the idea.  From the way it sounds there is a chance that they could get caught.  That is better than your chances other wise.

T

the hairless one

i wish there was something we could do but i am afraid they really dont even look at the pictures.

rick

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I've been taking a pic of a card I wrote up (see the post under "awww crap") And have talked to several people at the one hour developers. They scan through most of the pics developed, usually at the negatives, if you use bold black type on a white background it shows up really well on the negative and gets their attention. Not foolproof but good possibility for recovery.

T

the hairless one

couldnt hurt to try. What do you do just carry a sign with you when you go to check on your cams?

rick

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Rick,
I printed mine out  on the computer using MS word.I used Arial Black 16pt font and sized it to 4x6 inches.
After I printed it, I cut it out then laminated it, and I keep it in my cam housing.
When I change film I just set it down and take a pic of it.
On my next roll of film I am going to drop it off with a made up name and phony phone #, then see if they call me.....

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
shrtcirkt, Thanks thats a good idea,but what if the thief sees the card and doesn't develope the film. Like the idea though.I'm going to have to try it.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
TN,
My card is tucked back under the bottom layer of foam,If they dont pull the foam all out they wont see it. I see your point though :)
Maybe a wallet sized card........ hmmmmmmm

bat

Reaction score
shrtcirkt....not knocking your idea of checking to see if they would call you but I would have second thoughts about doing that.  They might next time say awwww he just checking us again...hmmmm gone camera!!!  I think the idea of having a card would be great but I would probably just keep it in my truck or wallet just in case.  Don't really want the thief to know my name and phone number, might try to avoid me hehe, and I want his azz if he steals my camera!!!

T

the hairless one

i might try that too but i dont think i would want to leave it in there.

rick

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Man what a hot topic.

I am always looking for a way to make security better but the small numbers for the time and date might be tough.  I will have to look into it
Right now all my microchips I sell have a unique serial number in them and I keep up with who has what so if someday you do get yours stolen and find it somehow I can tell you if it is actually yours or not.  Also, the security feature with the buttons doesn't keep them from stealing it but they can't use it after so many power ups.  That is about all I have so far but keep the ideas coming who knows when we will stumble on the right answer.

bat

Reaction score
Old pair of camo's, face mask, hat, old gun barrel that is no longer any good, add a nice orange vest...stuff that sucker full of straw and sit it about 50 yards from my cam....put a few warning signs (bad sighted hunter in the area) around...that just about ought to do it, hehe   Don't worry the deer will get used to it and it just might get them to not pay you so much attention when they spot you moving.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I guess all the film handling is automated now so this might not work, but what about printing out a small mailing label with your info stating that the camera is stolen.  stick the label between the tractor pullholes on the film itself.  when it rewinds it will be hidden.  Of course it would only work if they develop the your roll of film.  

just a thought

bat

Reaction score
Now that ArkansasElkHunter is a great!!!! idea, don't know why I didn't think of that, hehe.  Don't know anything about developing techniques but I'm going to check to see if that will work with my developer.  Thanks!

Top Bottom