Pricing a new rifle

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Once you have decided on what you want and it is not a caliber that any of the local gun shops carry would you make an offer that is less than suggested retail? Example say the gun lists for $1200 and they have never carried that caliber. I was told I would have to pay the full cost before they would order the gun and I have no issue doing that. My thought is it is a gun they would not normally stock and they do not have to put the gun on the shelf and wait for a buyer. Yes they have paper work but they also get my money long before they receive the gun. Most guns in that price range have a markup around 40% and I have a source to purchase the gun at a huge discount to me but I have to drive 4 hours one way twice to get the deal done. Is offering to pay 10-15% less than retail a bad deal for the shop owner? If you owned a retail store would you order something that was prepaid for less than a similar item cost that you had on the shelf?
Of course the store just wants me to buy the same gun model off the rack in a caliber they stock like a 30-06 or 308.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
IMO, if it counts, there are multiple issues with this .
1. if they do not have this gun and want upfront 100% money, it means, the gun (caliber) is highly unpopular, otherwise they would have it, and they are afraid to be stuck with it forever.

Only this alone would make me to consider not twice but 10 more times. Is this gun is going to kill a poor deer better than 308, 30-06 or 7mm i already have? Why people do not like it? People are not idiots, they know good things when they see it(best example is the recent elections).

2. Why to drive somewhere 4 hours when you can ship it to local FFL and pay him $40 -$50, your gas gas money for transfer. I'm sure Buds Gun have it for really good price and the shipping is free. I have excellent experience with them

Hoooper

Reaction score
Last time I ordered something the shop didnt carry they sold it to me at their purchase price plus a little bit to cover their time dealing with it. Obviously this is going to depend heavily on who you talk to and who runs the store. The counter guy who has no stake in the business is not going to give you some screaming deal unless the owner has told them thats how they do things.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
"the business is not going to give you some screaming deal unless the owner has told them thats how they" get read off unpopular items (Read- inferior, out of date, garbage, POS.. find one you like more)
But "the business is not going to give you some screaming deal" on something good, popular, they have high demand for and very liquid.

It is a law of economics,called demand and supply.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Ouch Justguy, John couldn't Hurt to ask for the manager and do a little bartering, But then again as Justguy said if it is something very uncommon or hard to come buy they are going to want the money up front.
What is this mystery rifle?

Last edited:

Big Moose

Reaction score
Yeah, I could understand them wanting full price up front. I ordered a Limited model car for my wife one time and still had to pay full price. Something you could do is tell them of the other discounted price and see if they'll match it or at least come close. Then there's always Buds Gun Shop on the internet. If you could find someone or store with a FFL license to have the rifle sent to, you would just pay the transfer fee. The cost of the rifle and transfer fee would be your rock bottom price which could be used as a bargaining point. Just my thoughts.

Moose

Planetcat

Reaction score
My LGS charges full msrp on all guns whether they are in stock or they have to order them. There are a couple others I frequent that price the "below" msrp price whether it's in the shop or not. I think your particular shop knows that you want that particular rifle/caliber combo and is trying to get the most $ out of you. The first LGS "msrp+" is why I prefer to use Gallery of Guns, Buds, or Gunbroker.

It should not make a difference whether they have to "order" the rifle or not. It's not like special ordering a car. These guys place orders with Davidson's and Lipsey's every day, so it's no extra work on their part to add another rifle and take your money up front. If you like the shop and feel they have good service, maybe consider just buying it there. Have you tried Wild Sports in Orangevale? They have great service, excellent prices, and should be much less than a 4 hour drive for you. Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin has good service and prices, too.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
If you want to support your LGS then expect to pay more. Help them out! If you want to be a cheap azz then shop somewhere else.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Well I will try to respond to a couple of you. The gun I am looking at is a stainless in 7mm-08. Not all that rare but most small gun shops don't stock them. In short action you can get a 243 or a 308 off the shelf. I can probably find one if I drive 1-2 hours away at a larger store but then that doesn't help the local small guy either. I really shouldn't need to explain beyond the point that it is what I want to buy as far as model or caliber go. Yes my 7mm mag does a great job on deer but I also own more than one shotgun or screwdriver or hammer I even own 2 cars and 2 quad runners. I wouldn't even try to count how many rod and reels I own.

As far as supporting local businesses that is what I am trying to do. I lived the first 55 years of my life in Central Ca. and developed some relationships there that are not the same as here. I can buy at wholesale if I want to drive there and back (which I do anyway). I like the local gun store owner here but not sure I like him enough to pay full price on something I can buy for far less else where on the other hand I would not mind paying him for his trouble just not sure full retail is what I am willing to do. If he is not willing to come down even 10% then I will most likely drive south. I will not order from an internet dealer.
Mr. Lucky are you saying if you had a friend who offered you a deal on a TV or a car or anything else you would just say no and go pay full retail at the closest store???

Last edited:

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I think you answered your own Question here John, go to your LGS say hey I can get this for this at here, but I would like to do business with you my LGS, can you meet or come close? Yes you buy at the LGs No you drive 4 hours.

dthome

Reaction score
John, your questions are good. Some of the responses here are from left field, and are not worth your time.
Most of us aren't made of money, so it's reasonable to find the best deal. I'd ask your local guy if he's willing to cut you a break. The worst he can say is "no". Don't feel sheepish about it--people bargain all the time, and those willing to ask for a break are much more likely to save money!
Sometimes I ask if a shop plans to have any sales in the future (Christmas?) that could save me money. I often learn that there are indeed. I recently had a car dealership tell me that they offer 10% off if you brought your car in for repairs on a Sunday. You just never know.

Last edited:

siskiyoucrash

Reaction score
Our Hardware store in Dunsmuir is the only FFL still in town. Last time I talked to them they would order anything they have available for cost +10%:thumbs up2:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Our Hardware store in Dunsmuir is the only FFL still in town. Last time I talked to them they would order anything they have available for cost +10%:thumbs up2:
That's a great deal and far less of a mark up than I think the store could get. I would be happy to pay a higher percentage than that.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
If a friend offered me a deal of course I would take it over LGS. Now, for some of you on this thread. You know who you are. Don't bitch when the LGS close down and you can't head there and order your "special" rifle.

inchr48

Reaction score
I always ask for a better price. If they are ordering it for me, we agree on the price in advance. I have Cabela's ship from store to store, and still get discounts off the original tag price more than half the time. Costs nothing to ask.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Most LGS close not because we do not buy there but because they do not want us to buy there.

Why they are expecting me to pay sometimes 50%, but usually 20-25% more as being a neighbor?

In my previous life i was a garage owner. I was repairing cars. I ALWAYS gave discounts to local guys and it was paying off well. It was very convenient for them and ALSO a little cheaper(nice bonus), They dropped the car in the morning and pick it up in the evening.
But if i wanted do gauge and charged local gust extra money for being LGS(actually for their loyalty), i'd also go out of business.

If they want to stay in business, they have to give good price. I'm ready to pay some extra for convince, but i'm not ready to pay so much.
Sentiments and loyalty can go only so far when it comes to the pocket. I worked hard to earn my money. I retired at 54 but i have to put my second daughter through a medical school. Why should i give extra money to LGS and not to my doughtier, or buy some ammo?

In short, if they want me to be loyal, they need to be loyal as well.

Last edited:

KTKT70

Reaction score
Well said. I have this talk with my wife at times. We live in a little city that has got to big. If I want a bag of chicken feed from the local shop it will run me $22 and tax. But if I go to the big box shop. I can get the same feed for $17 and tax. This is a small example but the 5 bucks adds up fast. I always want to support local businesses first but do not help the shops that show no love for be back to customers and our city.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
It is not $5, it is 20%
Now, make calculation, how much you spend each year.
Now, how much is 20% saving gonna be?

If you spend $50K each year, 20% is 10K.
Private school for your kid.
Or how many high grade rifles? Or Africa hunt, or whatever. Money you otherwise would pay for "loyalty", read - money down toilet.
I have only 1 loyalty - to my family. F***k LGS and all local businesses. They have to earn my money.

But i ALWAYS use local businesses if they are at least give me comparable price.

Last edited:

KTKT70

Reaction score
I'm with you brother. But if you treat me well and give me a fair price. I will be a customer for life. My LGS is bass pro or what ever shop has the deal while I'm on vacation. Lol. LV trip means bass pro and crackle barrel. Mmmmmm those things go together.

Top Bottom