Prob. with Map 76

Osprey

Reaction score
My map 76 is stuck in simulator mode no matter what I do I cant turn it off, has anyone else had this problem?  does any one know how to fix it. I e-mailed garmin but it said it could take up to 7 days to get a responce, so I thouight I would ask here to see if anyone had a quick fix.

~Thanks

~Ryan

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Osprey,

what version of the software are you running on your Gps ?

the latest is 2.08 i think

i don't know if this will work but you may try a master reset  for your unit to see if it will clear up the problem

below is the key sequence for doing the Master reset from Garmin Tech

Hold MENU+QUIT.
Hold rocker in the DOWN direction.
Hold POWER - for maybe a second.
Release POWER and rocker but keep holding MENU+QUIT.

Eventually the startup screen appears. You can release MENU+QUIT now. Instead of "acquiring satellites" or "autolocate", the unit will say "SEARCHING THE SKY".
................................................................................

afterwards make sure you have a clear view of the sky outdoors to initialize the unit again just like the first time it was ever turned on from the factory

hope this helps out and keep us posted to your findings

Later,

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
 Go to the Garmin website and download the latest version software. Boot up fresh... I'm just guessing...

Osprey

Reaction score
Gun Docc, I tried the master reset, and it rest everything but what I wanted it to, it's still runnin in simulator mode.

The version of softwear is 2.07
Does it cost anything to download the new version of softwear?
I need to find my pc interface cable before I can try it anyway though.

anything else you can think of?

Thanks for the help!

~Ryan

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Osprey ,

the download is free and it will help greatly to download the newer 2.08 version from Garmins site and below is the direct link to what you need

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76/download.html

the 2.08 version of software is a lot better than the previous 2.07 and is definately worth finding your pc cable

on another note have you tried removing the battery's ?
this might be worth trying also

Later,

Osprey

Reaction score
Removing the battries was the first thing I tried, and it didn't help.

here is somethging else though, I just noticed it yesterday in the startup, a screen comes up that says this:

The map data installed is for demonstration purposes only, GPS navigation will be disabled while this data is in use.

I downloaded a map of vermilion into the unit about a week and a half ago, and didnt use the unit again untill the day I found out it was stuck in simulator mode, was somthing wrong with the cd I bought?  I have been trying to delete the information of the unit now but I can't seem to get rid of it? any ideas on how to get it off of there?

Osprey

Reaction score
Well I got the map source info off the unit, and I downloaded the new software, and it still isn't working, I also reformatted the memory by downloading a blank map set off the fishing hot spots CD, that didn't work, and that’s what the guy at garmin told me to do when I called. Their response to my E-mail was worthless, they just told me to try the master reset, or send the unit in for repairs. So I guess I will have to call garmin again tomorrow and see what they say...

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
Call Garmin for permission to return the GPS. Since you probably have owned the unit for less than one year, it is still under warranty. Garmin will send a new Map 76 back to you in less than a week. Garmin support is excellent. I've returned firmware and a 12CX that had a bad memory battery. Quick results....

Osprey

Reaction score
Ok, so I went in to work yesterday, and took a new map 76 out of the box, with 2.08 software on it, and took our demo mapsource fishing hotspots cd and downloaded lake vermilion in to the new unit, to see if the same thing would happen as what happened to mine, and it did, it was stuck in the simulator mode, then I took the demo map 76, witch we've had for a wile, so it had the older 2.04 version of software, and downloaded vermilion into it, and it worked just fine, no problems of any kind, so it looks like the fishing hot spots cd isn’t compatible with the newer software on the map 76, but I haven't heard any complaints from customers about this,  and neither had the three different garmin tecs we talked to, so I'm not real sure what’s going on.....?

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Osprey ,

sounds if you found the trouble then , sounds like a software bug that is locking it up

i would most definately talk with the Garmin tech folks again as i'm sure they would be glad to know of the software bug? if this is what it is as then they could maybe come up with a fix for it

they have done pretty good with the newer software versions for the Map76 so far

with mine i have noticed a software glitch when saving a waypoint but it is not too big of a deal and have yet to let the Garmin tech in on it
when saving a waypoint it does so in the 24 hour format even though you have the unit set to the 12 hour format
this is not a problem to me anyhow as most of the time i change the waypoint properties to other than the default time and date

keep bugging Garmin as they will fix you up

Later,

Top Bottom