Problem encountered with 370

davered1

Reaction score
I, of course ,could not leave well enough alone with my second 370. Instead of putting it out the way it was I took out the  C cell battery pack that the MS20 was running on and hooked both camera and sensor up with just the 4 D cell pack.

Tested it on my counter for about 2 minutes and everything looked good. Put camera out yesterday in my usual BEAR spot. Checked camera today and it fired off 45 pictures, I was happy till I started to view them.All were taken 6 minutes apart starting exactly 6 minutes from the time I put camera out.

I brought the camera home and hooked it up to my 1st digital camera(I know it works flawlessly),running both of them from one source(4 D cells),same thing happens every 6 minutes the ms20 or camera thinks(Ibelieve) that it does not have enough power and oscillates the board.

I hooked both units up to 2 power supllies(1 with the 4 d's and 4 AA for camera, 1 with 4D's and camera running off 4C cell's externally). They have been sitting on my desk for 3 hours and haven't triggered once.I have the sensor windows taped off, they both fire when I remove tape and walk by.

Any of you able to explain it?

gizz

Reaction score
Ummmm......no clue.
Did you check the voltage on the 4D pack?
You were running both off of the same 4D pack, right?
Just for fun maybe you could put your multi meter between the bat+ and +input for the PIR and see what happens when you trip the PIR measuring the draw when the PIR is tripped. It would be good info to see what it is when idle as well.
What is your refresh time? Are you using Brians chip?
This all seems a bit odd.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi davered,
Just speculation here....
I'm thinking that the D370 is cyclically drawing power from the 4"D" cells and pulling the power supply low enough to make the MS-20 oscillate.

Is the D370 'ON' all the time??? Or does your setup power the cam up only when actually taking a pic??

Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
Good come back Arch, I knew i was out of my league on this. :smile-blue
That's a good point though ARCH and if those D's are re-chargeable then there's a good chance that the are 1.2V instead of 1.5V? If so then the total voltage would be 4.8V vs 6V which may be too low for the MS20 to work properly.
**I just checked and Brian's chip requires 3.5V min so maybe the voltage is not the problem although if your running the chip off of the 5V regulator on the MS20 maybe the regulator does not work properly at low voltage....i'm lost at this point if you can't tell already...
I'll just sit back and follow now before i put my foot in my mouth!

(Edited by gizz at 8:50 pm on July 1, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
I hooked the tester up to battery pack while evrything was on.READS 6V, then when I trigger the PIR the V's run down to around 4.6-4.8 (mine is a meter not digital).this would explain the recycle but why is it taking 6 minutes then firing?

Jon5ja

Reaction score
Your refresh timer isn't 6 minutes, is it?  If it is, it's probably kicking on the circuit that charges the flash which momentarily yanks the battery voltage low enough to trigger the MS20.

I just measured an MS20 here on the bench, and the regulated voltage was 5.002 volts.  Amazingly (to me) I was able to let the unregulated voltage drop to only a hair more than a tenth of a volt above the regulated voltage (about 5.11 volts) without affecting the MS20.  However, if I "yanked" the supply voltage down even a couple of tenths of a volt below that, the MS20 would fire.

If your refresh is not 6 minutes, then I'd guess that's just how long it's taking for the flash capacitor to bleed down to the point the the D-370 says "Hey... I better charge that cap back up."

Jon

(Edited by Jon5ja at 10:41 pm on July 1, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Jon,

I am assuming(I have 15 chips in front of me) that it is a digital chip(2.5) refresh.I assume this because of 2 reasons. 1, the camera took over 38 pics without shutting down as my 35 mm chips should.2,The other chip I have wired up that works great does the same thing when both Camera and MS20 are wired into the same power supply.

Maybe you are right, it needs to be topped up every 6 minutes.I am placing it out in the morning with seperate power supplies to see if it makes a difference!!

Thanks, Dave

Archilochus

Reaction score
Here's something to try - take you only 12 minutes.  Hook up the D370 and turn power on.  Hook up your volt meter.  Watch for 12 minutes and see if you get the volage drop in a six minute cycle.  If so - I'd say Jon is right about the cam doing a self-recharge on the flash (or some other automatic "maintenance").

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 6:22 am on July 2, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Daverd1,

Your D-370 chips have a 2.5 hour refresh so it has to be the camera.  I bet you could regulate the voltage to the MS20 so the supply drop when the D-370 activates for whatever reason would not affect the MS20.  I am not sure what the current draw of the MS20 is but Arch's regulator can source up to I think 200mA.  You could even add an extra cell to power the MS20 since the regulator can take up to 10 volts.

Just a thought but I bet it might work.  I have sourced up to 110mA before with them and the regulated voltage never moved a bit.

I have seen some digitals draw upwards of a couple of amps or more when active.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom