Problem shooting with progressive lens bi-focals. Anyone have a solution?

DeeRedRaider

Reaction score
I wear progressive lens bi-focal glasses. When I'm shooting in order to be able to focus on my front site I have to tilt my head back some so that I'm looking through the bottom of te lens, which of course, this makes the target out of focus. It's a trade off - either the site is in focus or the target. Anyone else dealing with this issue? Have a solution?

acousticmood

Reaction score
I have progressive lenses - as opposed to bi focals. Two different lenses completely.

I focus on the front sight and do the best I can with the target. I guess I've just gotten used to it. 'course I'm no sharpshooter.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The prevailing rule is that the target should be out of focus and the front sight sharply in focus when shooting a handgun. I shoot with progressive lenses and suffer the same "tilt" head that you do. It's very annoying. The guys that compete usually have a set of glasses made that allow for a sharp image of the front sight and a blurred target. It does seem counter-intuitive, but there it is.

ltdann

Reaction score
The Marines teach to focus on the front sight and the target should be blurry. When the target disappears behind the front sight, let 'er rip. When I had to go and qualify with the Marines, I thought they were full of it, especially when they expected me to hit targets at 500 m with open sights. They were right! 9 outta 10 in the black.

DeeRedRaider

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. I had figured that the key was to focus on the front site and do the best I can with a blurry target. I'm also dealing with a cross-dominant issue and my dominant eye is the one with the worst vision (stigmatism). I guess a special pair of prescription lenses focused from arms length at the bottom progressing up to only 25 yards at top would be the trick. I'll check with the wife and see if she think's that'd be a good use of $500!!!! Any takers on that bet?

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I have an astigmatism in my dominant eye as well. Your target is just going to be blurry when the front sight is sharp.

Top Bottom