Problem with camera

Reaction score
I just wired up my first cam and everything was going great until I tried to test the camera and PIR together.  I am using the OWL PF and RS PIR.  I wired it up according to the directions.  The PIR works fine in the test mode and I let it warm up before I switch it to the camera.  I wired in a DPDT for the LED and Camera and an SPST for the battery. The problem is that the only time the camera shoots is when I first switch it over to the camera.  Also, when the camera is on I can't seem to switch the camera to force flash.  Confused and in need of help.

Stever

Reaction score
can you post a sketch of exactly how you wired it?

Reaction score
I don't know how to post a sketch, but I wired just like the diagram for modifying the Owl PF and the diagram for the RS PIR.  I haven't tried taking out the batteries, but I will.  Also, I will put the camera on the same DPDT posts as the LED and see if that makes any difference.  I assumed that the camera was soldered ok because it would fire when I connected the two camera wires as the instructions say.  Should I double check this?  Something is wrong, but I'm sure with your help I can get it figured out.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I'd double check the camera first....then go from there.  

sven

Reaction score
Another possibility is the diode on the relay.  Make sure it is wired the correct direction.  A diode is basically a one way street for electricity and it needs to be going the correct way or it won't do any good.

Reaction score
I checked the diode and the silver band is on the right side of the relay as shown in the diagram.  I wired in a new DPDT and it still fires 1 pic when I switch it to camera.  Then the camera freezes up until I take the batteries out.  I was hoping not to have to resolder the camera.  The camera worked fine when I test it as described in the directions.  I cross the two wires and then it would snap a pic.  Still confused.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Straight Shooter

I think you have a bad connection going to the Camera, Pin 6 is apparently not getting connected to Pin 4 when the Relay closes....

If pin 4 and 5 "only" get connected, the camera will flash once and lock up.  Usually the only way to bring the camera out of shutdown is disconnecting the battery's a few min's.

Tinhorn

davered1

Reaction score
Check the relay to be sure it is working properly.It should not have continuity when pir is not triggered and should have continuity when pir is triggered.

If the relay is functioning properly then check your jack running from relay,maybe  it has loose connection?it sounds like as soon as you flip to camera your cameras circuit is completed and it stays this way till it is locked up.

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn and davered1.

Just to make sure I wired the camera right in the first place, I built a bridge between 5 and 6, connected directly to 4 and directly to the circle for the shutter.  When I tested the camera it would fire every time I touched the two wires together without freezing up.  Maybe that doesn't make a difference.  

I will also check the relay.  I just bought a multimeter but don't know how to use it yet.  I assume I use that to check the continuity.  I didn't wire in any jacks.  I just used speaker wire to wire the camera and connected that directly to the DPDT and the relay.

davered1

Reaction score
did you test camera after you soldered your plug to it?
Does camera fire if you turn power off then back onwithout being plugged in to relay?

try to short across plug maybe the connections are touching inside plug?

Reaction score
davered1,

I didn't solder a plug to the camera.  I simply soldered the speaker wire to the camera as described above and then connected the speaker wire directly to the relay and the DPDT.  Did I miss something?

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I'M HAVING THE SAME SYMTOMS AS STRAIGHT SHOOTER. I HAVE STEREO JACKS ON MY CAMERA AND IT FIRES FLAWLESSLY EACH TIME I SHORT IT OUT ON THE JACK. BUT WHEN I SWITCH FROM LED TEST TO CAMERA, IT WILL FLASH ONCE AND THEN DO NOTHING, SAME AS STRAIGHT SHOOTER'S. WHATEVER WE'VE DONE WRONG, AT LEAST WE'RE CONSISTENT.

Reaction score
Well, I re-soldered all of my connections outside of the camera, same problem.  Dug into the camera and re-soldered the wire to pin 4.  That problem seems to be solved, but now the PIR fires randomly.  I turn it on, let it warm up and when the light goes out, it comes right back on again and then off and then on.  Hopefully, I'll figure this thing out soon.

russ

Reaction score
Hey Staight Shooter,
You said speacker wire to camera is this a typo if not:
You don't use speacker to cam,it goes to relay.
Then relay to camera.
Same wires out of cam go to the wires at the very ends of the relay.(RS 275-232@5VDC)
Hope this helps if not keep on posting will figure it out.

Reaction score
Russ,

When I said speaker wire I was referring to the type of wire I was using, not the speaker wire directly from the PIR.  Sorry about the confusion.  The camera works fine and I finally got the puzzle put together.  When I set the PIR to off and then turn the switch connected to the battery to on and let the PIR warm up for a minute and then set the PIR to chime, everything works great.  My only question is, if I have to turn the switch for the battery on and then turn the actual PIR on to chime or alarm, what is the purpose of the switch.  I assumed I could use that switch and then leave the PIR set on chime and everything would work fine.  However, when I do that the PIR just keeps going off randomly.  If I am doing something wrong with that switch please let me know.  Thanks.

russ

Reaction score
Hey Straight Shooter,
Sorry about that,so let me confuse both of us some more .Your pir if you have it in the off position I dont think it warms up when you turn battery power on.I leave mine in chime mode and my DPDT switch to LED.When I first start my unit up the LED will stay on for 30 seconds or so,this is normal.
 Glad you got all the other bugs worked out.I'd say your on pins and needles to get it in the woods.You do know this is when the addiction really begins.
Hope you get some great pics will see yea later.

bat

Reaction score
Straight Shooter,

I have the same setup that you have I think.  Put your sensor in the Alarm and leave it there.  When you get ready to fire it up, make sure you have the DPDT switch set on the LED side on the switch.  Turn on the SPST switch to warm up the motion detector.  After powering up you can then test the Motion Detection with the LED, if that works then switch the DPDT switch to the Camera.  I found this works well for me.  Hope you get it going.

(Edited by bat at 12:11 am on Jan. 29, 2002)

Reaction score
Thanks russ and bat,

When I get the sequence correct for turning things on, it is remarkable how well they work.  Now I just need to get everything mounted in the ammo can and I will be headed to the woods.

davered1

Reaction score
Straight shooter,

What was problem with camera to begin with?

Top Bottom