problem!!!

bat

Reaction score
Information!!
 This will be a little lengthy but it might save someone some trouble.  I had one of my cam out a few days and when I checked it, it had only one picture took with the letter "H" in the camera count window.  Sooooo I shut it down and brought it back up and it wound to the next count....no problem I said just Humidity I said...was pretty hot down here and humid.  I checked it the next day and noticed it wasn't picking up like it was suppose to...hmmmm.  Checked it out and thought it was the battery not connected good because it started working again after I pressed the battery cap on a little..didn't remove the battery out of the foam to check.  Moved it to another spot yesterday and went back just to see after the rain last night how it was doing....tracks, tracks right next to the path I went in the woods from a field to set it up just inside the woods...no pictures took!  Hmmmm they must have turned just after they left the field.  Moved it to a better trail and set it up...again didn't want to pick up movement when I did the walk test.  Opened it back up to check the battery...uh oh...acid on the cap..  That battery was a newly new Lith. 9v battery and it had busted/leaked just under the cap where I couldn't see it without pulling it out of the foam holder.  It actually had somehow caused the small pin of the battery to break off as well as push the bigger one up from the battery a little.  Almost like it tried to explode or something.  Darn now I got to clean the enclosure bottom to get rid of the stuff..  Luckily didn't fire off all my film but I learn a good lesson with this!!!!  

"If your camera is acting strange, take it out of the woods and check everything, especially the battery"  Hope this helps someone else to keep from having to do extra work!!

bat

max

Reaction score
Great Post... Bat
Another thing I would Like to add to this topic is to make sure you place dessicant  inside you enclosures!!With the Hot days and recent quick cooling at night their is alot of opportunity for condesation to form inside our enclosures!!!This can cause all sorts of problems...Including CORROSION!!!!:weep-yellow:  Just thought this might help to remind everyone?:reminder-string:

bat

Reaction score
followup:
after cleaning my cam for over an hour I came up with this: :idea-litebulb-blue:
cut one half off of one film cannister and use the top with another cannister, hot gluing them together. Cut a notch in the side near the top for the battery wires to come out, put the 9v inside and snap on the lid.  I hot glued mine to the back of my cam to hold it in place with the wires turned up.  This should keep the battery junk inside the cannister if that happens again.  Would save a lot of cleanup time.  Luckily nothing got on my Pir that I could tell.  :batwings:

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Bat,
You'll want to keep a close eye on everything inside the cam - that batt acid is corrosive, and even if it looks cleaned up, some residue might still be present.  If you have high humidity, that could accelerate any corrosion.

bat

Reaction score
thanks Arch will do, BTW I was in Ace Hardware this afternoon and just checked to see if they carried the dessicant and found they had it in a small pail/bucket, 12 oz. for $2.89 if anybody has a problem finding it.  I needed to change mine so I brought a pail of it.  It's all in a plastic wrap but I am going to take a film cannister and drill small holes in the top and fill it with some of it, should do for a good while.  Man a film cannister can do a lot of things!  The product is called "DampRid".  Can't read the item # but the upc on it has the number 75919 0005.  bat

passgas55

Reaction score
Damp rid, is that the stuff that turns to a gel when it absorbs water? If that battery is on the acid side, I would wipe down the inside of the box with a mixture of water and baking soda.Then wipe down again with plain water. Let dry real good, Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. No wait I am giving you my cake recipe. Just forget the part about baking for 30 minutes.

u turned em

Reaction score
Bat.......regarding the dessicant.........you can find small capsules/packages of these inside some over the counter pill bottles.  A couple of them should do for our intended use.  I just pulled a couple out of two Bayer aspirin bottles and used velcro to stick them inside my box.  Over time, I can collect more and change them out. .......Just an idea.  Good luck with the battery.

Top Bottom