Problems with new camera

Alberta

Reaction score
I'm having some problems testing my new camera set-up.  Any input would be appreciated.  I am using the following parts:  Canon Sure Shot AF - 7S Date (camera), Radio Shack Motion Detector - RS# 49-425, 9V battery, SPST toggle switch, DPDT toggle switch, LED with built in resistor, 1N4001 silicon diode, 2.5mm (3/32&quot panel mount    jack - 3 conductor - open circuit, 2.5mm (3/32&quot 3-conductor stereo plug, Sanyou DPDT 5V relay.  
   A rough description on how it is hooked up - red speaker wire from motion detector to one side of DPDT switch, black speaker wire to black LED wire, red battery wire to one side of SPST switch, black battery wire to one side of relay coil and anode side of diode, red LED wire to same side of DPDT switch as red speaker wire from motion detector, one wire from 3 conductor plug to DPDT switch, 2 wires from 3 conductor plug to NO contact on relay, wire from common contact of relay to same side of DPDT switch as wire from 3 conductor plug, wire from IC pin to cathode of diode and other side of relay coil.

When testing, the following chart explains the outputs:

Relay Contacts        DPDT Switch           SPST Switch    LED              Stereo Plug Contacts

closed                    LED position           on                 stays on       open
open                      LED position           off                 off               open
closed                    camera position      on                 off               closed (NOTE 1)
open                      camera postion       off                off               open
closed                    mid-position???       on                off               open
open                      mid-position???       off                off               open

NOTE 1: If either the DPDT switch, or the SPST switch is toggled, camera takes a picture.

The camera works correctly on its own, and correctly takes a picture when the wires from the board inside it are connected together.

When I initially hooked up the relay, I mistakingly contected the wires to the NC contacts instead of the NO contacts, I tested the setup in this position, and the motion detector worked, the LED would come on then shut off and then come on again with motion as it should.  The rest of the set up did not work of course, and after correctly connecting the wires to the NO relay position, the LED would come on and stay on, and the detector of course would not detect any movement.  Is it possible that something screwed the detector?

davered1

Reaction score
One of your problems is probably your relay.It probably needs to much power to trip. toss it and get a 275-232 reed relay from RS. you can order then online through RS. This relay draws about 20ma's.

There is probably nothing wrong with sensor, remove your camera plugs and wire direct to camera wires.get it working then add the plug and jack. Try a brand new battery, the RS will continue to cycle if battery is low so will the the MS20.

ditch the relay first!!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I can see you spent a lot of time figuring out a Logical reason it's not working, that's good, real good.....

I tried to follow your rough connection description and nothing jumped out at me as being wrong so lets look at some simple things 1st.

1.    You did wait about 60 seconds for the warm-up time right?  

2.   Which position is the PIR Mode Switch in?  
          Try both positions and wait a good minute to see if the LED goes out

Odd the LED is staying on all the time, makes me wonder if it's not had enough time to time out.  It def shouldn't stay on all the time, as you mentioned.

Toggling the power switch will make the cam snap a pix but only if the DPDT switch is in the "Arm" postion.  If the cam snaps a pix in both settings then something is wrong with the DPDT wiring  ( I got lost following your switch wiring connections)

Let us know what you found

Tinhorn

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I didn't see that relay you're using,  Davered1 is probably right on,  the relay draws way too much current (bad thing, all this current coming out of pin 2 trying to pull in that relay could have toasted the PIR !!!!        ONLY USE A REED RELAY

Good Eyes Dave

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 whoe there just a minute,i had this problem with the PIR staying triggered when i was testing during build,if the pir is out in the open with no lens covering it, it will not time out very easily,make sure the Fresnel lens is covering the front of your sensor,with the cam finished and in its enclosure with the sensor behind the Fresnel lens does it still stay triggered?this was driving me nuts and took awhile for me to figure out,once i closed the front of my box and the lens (glued to the lid) covered the sensor all was well.

If this is not the problem then ignore this post:roll-eyes-green:

(Edited by Passthru at 1:07 am on Aug. 14, 2002)

Alberta

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, sounds like I'll be trying to find an SPST reed relay first, unfortunately the Radio Shacks in Alberta are going away from stocking small parts such as relays, thus forcing me to try the DPDT Sanyou.  They also informed me that the 49-425 PIR sensor has been discontinued, and its not worth enough to ship from store to store.  Real customer friendly.  Hopefully my motion sensor is still operational.  I will also try the different PIR mode settings (the chime position is the far left position correct???)  I've also had the sensor in the housing (using the fresnal lens) at all times.  I'll let you know when I figure this out.

Canuck

Reaction score
I use an 5 v relay from Active electronics in Calgary and they work well.
You can get the ms20 sensors and convert them to low power using Jons mods posted.  Walmart carries the ms20 lights in their hardware/lighting section you'll notice that the sensor number listed stars with a "C" in think this likely indicates a canadian part number, but the board and components are identical.

I will try to remember to post the part number for the relay I have at home.  Active is one of the largest electronic component outlets in Canada.

Kevin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom