Problems with pir

Coues

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems using pin#2 on the RS pir? When I hooked the relay up it would only fire once. So I checked the voltage on pin 2 and it is 5v, but it NEVER turns off. Even when the chime-off-alarm switch is off! As soon as I apply power to the pir, pin 2 goes to 5v. So I checked the speaker wires and they too are constantly on. Is the board fried? It worked fine until I soldered the wire to pin 2.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Uhh ohh... Don't sound good at all :(

Did you try testing that pin2 output with the sensor element *completely* covered (Tinhorn uses one of those add-on pencil erasers to slip over the element when testing a board).

If the sensor element is exposed, the sensor could just be getting re-triggered - driving the pin #2 output "HIGH".

Archilochus

Coues

Reaction score
I thought about that too, but it doesn't explain why I get a voltage reading witht the selector switch turned off. Maybe I shorted it somehow or overheated the chip when I soldered it. I don't see how though, the iron never touched the chip, and was contacting the pin for maybe 3 seconds max. Maybe the switch itself is scewded up.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Coues, Try unhooking everything you put on(unsolder relay etc...) and hook your speaker back up.Then try to get the chime or alarm mode to work. If it does your probably OK.If it doesn't work well :-( sorry.Keep us posted.LOL

Coues

Reaction score
I never hooked the relay up. I only soldered the wire to pin 2 and was testing the voltage. I did cut the speaker wires though and took the speaker out. So it's trashed. The signal from the speaker wires has a constant output also, about 9 volts. I think I'm out $30.00. Does anyone have the original instructions for modifying the RS PIR? The cam I made last year works great by powering the relay from the SMALL IC, with a resistor inline. I could take it apart and duplicate it, but with my luck as it is right now, I better not. Besides, I have had to stop myself already from bashing the new PIR against the wall from frustration! HEHEHE

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Coues, here is the link to Jesse's page on the RS Pir I don't know if this is what your looking for or not.
http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/rs-49-425.html
As far as the speaker goes if you have an old speaker or stereo that has the open wire speakers you might get that to work or maybe an old set of headphones.If not go to my profile and e-mail me and I'll send you a speaker to test your PIR,out of one of mine. I've made 5 cams and kept the speakers out of all of them.LOL

Coues

Reaction score
The instructions for modifying the RS PIR used to be different. It used to say to power the relay from the small ic chip, not the big one. I just can't remember which pin or what value of a resistor to use.

Thanks for your help. At least I have a PIR for parts incase one my other ones go out.

sven

Reaction score
Are you talking about right after you power it up or all the time?  There is about a 30 second window that the RS pir will act like it's been tripped when you first power it up.  This is normal.  If it's staying on all the time, check to see if a little bit of solder or possibly a piece of the stranded wire might be shorting something out.  It doesn't take much to make funny things happen.  Trust me. :banghead:

Coues

Reaction score
It shows a voltage on pin 2 and the speaker wires even when the selector switch is in "off" position. I have left on for 2 hours with the pir covered, hooked up to the voltmeter and when I return pin 2 is still"on" It might be the switch itself. If I can find one, I might try and replace it or if I can figure it out, just remove the switch and hard wire to the alarm position and switch it on and off with the battery switch,

Coues

Reaction score
SVEN,
Illini got a 4 seed but got put in the same bracket with Kansas. If they they would have beaten OSU they would have got a 2 or 3 seed. I hope they play up to their potential in the tourney. Cook and Bradford have been playing really well lately. Frankie just needs to keep his head in the game.

sven

Reaction score
Couse,
I was a little surprised that they still didn't get a #3 seed the way they closed the year.  I think the selection committee is too wrapped up in creating matchups than seeding teams where they deserve to be.  Gonzaga got the biggest screw job while Cinci got the biggest gift.

The Illini are capable of beating anyone in the tourney.  It's a matter if they actaully play defense even when the scoring is coming easy.

We probably ought to move this discussion to the Campfire forum, or email me if you want to talk more Illini or Cubs for that matter.  I do know there is at least one more Illini fan around here.

Sven

Latest Posts

Top Bottom