Problems???

DeadeyePY

Reaction score
I just got done connecting everything up on my homebrew camtrakker and when I went and tested it nothing worked.  Would the type of wire that I used affect anything?  I am using 20 gauge wire.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I am using the Radio Shack 49-425 PIR.  Can anyone help me with my problem?
Thanks

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Wire size won't effect anything, unless it's too small, 20 Ga is fine. Recheck all your connections and solder joints according to the diagram for the RS PIR. Also check your switch connections, and make sure the polarity is correct. If you still can't get it to work, put the RS PIR back together, and test it.

Good Luck,

CB

passgas55

Reaction score
Did you check the pir by it self? Did you check the camera by it self? Batteries good? Are you using a timer board? I always test one part at a time and retest as I am putting every thing into one unit.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
DeadeyePY, Welcome to JHP. Sorry to hear you are having problems.coyotebandit and passgas55 have gave you the best advice.Try what they have suggested and keep us informed of your progress.LOL

bat

Reaction score
welcome to the forum DeadeyePY, make sure you have the pir switched on also.  The switch where you see the Chime/Alarm should be in either of theses places, but make sure it is not in the center area which is the off position.  Someone said one time that they had one of the RS pirs that they had to shift this switch back and forth a few times to make it start working.  I have not had that problem with one yet, but you might want to try that.  I run mine in Chime for the most part.  Hope you get it going.  bat  
BTW, are you using a switch between the battery and the pir, if so and the other doesn't work try shorting across the switch legs just to make sure the switch is not bad.  :litebulb:

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Give us a litle moreinfo han it's ot working and we can really help. You have the best tech support here and I'm sure the experts here can help. Like said before, the wire sise is fine. MC.

seahonk

Banned
Reaction score
ok  i just bought  everthing  i  need except   one thing  ,  ok  more  info  im  hooking  up  an canon  owl  pf  date  ,  the  three   wire  way   so  as  to  use my  camera  besides in  a  cam  box  ,  ok  i bought  as  stated  in  the   instructions  the  RS-274-245    3  conductor   3/32  submini   stereo  jacks   ,  NOW  i  cant  find   any  three  conductor   3/32   plugs   they  only  make  two  conductor   plugs  at  radioshack  ?  any  help  whould  be  very  appreciated    thanks  guys      oh  im  using  the  RS  49-425  pir

(Edited by seahonk at 4:13 am on Aug. 13, 2002)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 short the wires from the cam across each other and make sure that its working,make sure that if you bought the plug/jack from Radio shack that the wires are soldered to the right posts of the female plug,there are 3 and only 2 work.
 with an volt ohm meter hooked to the 2 wires coming off the reed relay resistance should read infinity(blinking numbers) when the sensor is tripped the ohm meter should move to 0's across the face.if this happens then it is working properly.
 First thing to do though is to check the wiring to your camera,if you short all these wires together and it dont fire the shutter and flash(force flash mode) then that is your problem.

quackmaster

Reaction score
When I am building a cam I always check everything in steps, before I solder and cram everything in the box.
1. Camera with cables will flash
2. Camera (unsoldered) to PIR will trigger flash
3. PIR will trigger  LED (unsoldered)
I like to make sure the components work before I solder
If it all works at that point, you can narrow it down to all work done after your wiring.

One thing you may check, is the position of the switches. If you were to look at the SPST switch from the side, it is "on" when the switch is opposite the soldering posts below. Same goes  for the DPDT switch.

Somebody correct me if it is just the opposite this (I'm going from memory on the switch position)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom