Professional Training

One Track

Reaction score
I'll be bowhunting in South Africa for two weeks, leaving 7/25. My wife and kids are going to NE for the same two weeks. So, I need a place to leave my dog. I'm thinking that two months of training wouldn't hurt. Duke is 9 months. He's an awesome dog. He retrieves to hand. It's about time for FF and an E Collar. I'd like to keep it close to San Diego. I'm going to have a real hard time not having him with me for the 6 weeks after my return from Africa. He goes with me to work everyday. He sleeps in the house. He's spoiled. I've never hit him. We've had a lot of fun up to this point. He was retrieving birds in January at 4 months. I'm looking for a trainer with a soft hand, and one that will give my dog lots of attention. I'd like it to be close so I can make some trips to the trainer's property, and get some training for myself.

Suggestions are needed. Thanks in advance.

Duke at 4 mos.

[attachment=52858:Duke_and_Ducks_009.jpg]

Attachments

duckdog

Reaction score
Brent,

You might want to check with Russ and see if he knows of any trainers by you. I know of Steve Stevens. He's a great trainer, but he might have a waiting list, or be out of the area this time of year. I'll do some asking around and see if any of the trainers around here can recommend someone for you.

Dana

Huntnup

Reaction score
Brent,

If you need a place to leave Duke I will take him for those two weeks. I have Dukes sister and
she is going into the trainers on Monday. I am going to miss her and need a fill in. Mav lives the same life as
Duke, work everyday, sleeping inside, walks, bike rides or swimming everyday.

I am taking Mav into Gameland Kennels in Norco. I had them train a dog for me before, they did a great job and the dog was outstanding.

Let me know If you have any questions or need a number.

Danna.... I have been trying to get some current pics to send you before I send Mav off. I weighed her
last week and she is 61 lbs and nothing but fun!! I will tell you more with some pics.

Jerry

One Track

Reaction score
Jerry:

Thanks for the awesome offer. I will definitely check out Gameland Kennels. It's close to San Diego. How long will Mav be in training? 61 lbs.? She's already bigger than her mom. Wow. That kinda scares me. I hope Duke doesn't hit 100 lbs. I believe the Sire was 85lbs. At what age will they stop putting on weight, assuming they are in good condition?

duckdog

Reaction score
Jerry,

I was in Thousand Oaks in May. I was hoping we could have met. My schedule was so full that I didn't have time to get in touch with you. I would have loved to have seen Mav. I would love to see pics of Mav. My email address is below.

A friend of mine has their brother, Trigger, and I have Teddy. Trigger is tall and lean. He'll look like his sire, just a lot skinnier. Now Teddy with in this last month took on a growning spurt. He finally grew taller than Marzee and is leaning out. He looks so thin due to growing fast. He can eat like a horse and not gaining weight. I haven't had him weighed yet.

I find by the time they are about 1 1/2 they have reached the height and weight that they will be. Considering they are not over feed, only to get fat.

Brent,
As long as you don't over feed Duke. I can't see him getting over 100lbs.

danagonzales@msn.com

One Track

Reaction score
I hope not.

After hunting with Marzee, I like the idea of a smaller dog.

He's still on 4 cups a day. Does that sound about right to you? He's tall and skinny. He trys to eat everything in the house. I mean anything that isn't nailed down. He's ravenous all the time. Should I bump it up, or leave it at 4 cups?

duckdog

Reaction score
Brent,
I'd leave him at 4 cups as long as he isn't under weight. He's growing and when he's done. He should fill out. Teddy eats 4 cups and if I were to put 7 cups down. He'd eat every bit of it until he gets sick. He loves his food.

Marzee's the same way.......

One Track

Reaction score
Free:

We did share a duck blind once. And, we whacked one bird short of two limits of mallard. Awesome day. Now stop daydreaming and go train your pup.

Top Bottom