project box

coyotehunters

Reaction score
Has anyone used the project box from radio shack. i looked at one today and it seemed a little week. Are they water proof. the one i looked at was in a plastic bag so i couldnt see what kind of a seal it has.

coyotehunters

Reaction score
OK SO WHAT WOULD THE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE CONSIDER TO BE THE ULTIMATE ENCLOSURE FOR ONE OF THESE CAMS.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Hey coyotehunters,

I am using the PVC electrical junction box from Hoffman enclosures. 6"x6"x4" Extremely durable and a watertight seal on the inside.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I agree with the radio shack box looking pretty week.  Of course mine is in a huge metal lock box. Blacktail's enclosures look great.  If I make more I suspect I'll use something like those.

Blacktail

Reaction score
I have used the Radio Shack project boxes on other projects and they seem to be pretty cheap.  Even after you screw the lid down it bows up on the sides.  It never really does seal very well.  Just my observation though.

Zeke

Reaction score
I'm making a box for mine out of aluminum. Its gonna be 13"X8"X3 1/2".Im going to weld it all the way around except for the cover. I'll tack 1/4" aluminum rod in the corners and midway down the sides for the screws to bolt the cover on. I just gotta figure out how to seal the cover. Any ideas?  Z

russ

Reaction score
HELLO HOMEBREWERS,I USE THE SMALL BOX 6X5X3. THEY SEAL UP WELL, THE BIGGER ONE WON'T.AREA IS VERY TIGHT I  USE METAL PLATE THAT COMES WITH BOX TO MAKE SHELF FOR CAM TO SIT ON.(1.60HIGH X4.50WIDE X2.0 THICK)PUT RS-429 INSIDE SHELF.USE SMALL PIECE OF  1X1.5X.250 FLAT BAR WITH 2 HOLES DRILLED TO FIT SMALL U BOLT FITTED TO SIDE OF BOX FOR CHAIN.FLAT BAR GOES INSIDE OF BOX MAKES THE HOUSEING VERY DURABLE.THEY ALSO HOLD PAINT GOOD AND NOT TO HARD TO CUT WITH A DREMEL.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Hey Zeke

I though of doing the same thing.  What I thought about doing is weather stripping the inside of the lid, and you could either go with two latches;one on either side or if you wanted to get tricky you could hinge one side and latch the other.  Just a thought.

russ

Reaction score
BLACKTAIL,
   THE SMALL RS BOX YOU CAN USE A LARGE O-RING ON THE OUTSIDE LIP OF THE LID.IF YOU CAN'T FIND ANY I HAVE SOME THAT I COULD SEND YOU.

davered1

Reaction score
PVC Electrical box is only $5 more than radio shack box. the radio shack box is weak,I have used both and consider the pvc to be worth the extra 5$.

You can strip the screws on the radio shack box too

Blacktail

Reaction score
Thats a good idea Russ.  I appreciate the offer.  If I decide to use this box I might take you up on that.  thanks

davered1

Reaction score
blacktail,

pvc box is weather proof and comes with a rubber ring to keep rain out(well worth the 5$).I had to put a strip of duct tape on the top of my hobby box to keep rain out

bradjenkins

Reaction score
Does anybody use the radioshack boxes without any problems and if so how did you alter it to overcome the problems others have mentioned here?

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
I use a cigar caddy box from Cases 4 Less. It's water proof and crush proof. Works for me.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I use the Radio Shack box with no problems,it set out in pouring rain for 4 days not a single drop of moisture inside,think im lucky? maybe.
 But heres what i do,the lid is the Back<----when you put it on the tree and strap it in place the tree will mash the lid up tight to the box,Also,I use the Camo Duct tape,when i taped the lid i folded it around the edges so that when i put it on the box it acts as a gasket,The screws will strip out,its only plastic,but if you only tighten them enough to snug the lid it should last awhile.
 Keep in mind that even though i dont have any problems im going to switch to a metal box,only so i can lock it up.

I have this idea on how to make it very hard to steel a cam.
but be carefull about rules on public land,as in tree damage.

1:Two 1/4 or 3/8 lag screws,with as large a flat washer as possible and a gasket type washer to go under it,Screw the box to the tree.now you have to get inside to remove it from tree.yes you will have to have a socket and ratchet.

2:now to lock the box i have yet to figure this out well but heres the gist of it,  A hasp on the lid with a KEYED padlock,weld a small box over this lock and hasp that will allow access to the lock from the bottom only,but enough room that once you unlock it you can flip the lock over and raise it off the hasp. this way they cannot get a hack saw or bolt cutters to the hasp or lock.this cannot be a whimpy box though.  As i said im still thinking this over but if i build something like this that works ill post pictures of it.

Top Bottom