Proper bullet construction

smokin54

Reaction score
I am using a .223 for coyote , Is there any bullet that is not suitable ? I have some winchester .223 45 gr. JHP at a advertised 3600fps that  looks fragile . I just dont want to see a coyote run off wounded for a poor choice in bullets.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
smokin54, I personally like the 52 to 55gr bullets either in hollow point or ballistic tip flavors. I like hollow points only because I do not care how bad I destroy the hide. And the one coyote I shot (twice) with it was absolutely destroyed.

On your 45 gr?? It may be a little light at that speed, however I would not hesitat to use it & believe it may be fine?!  Songdog or Hook would know more than I on that bullet.

I also do not like fmj bullets on coyotes as they could go clean through with almost no damage.

Good Hunting

Frank

songdog

Reaction score
Sounds like what you have should work great.  Like Frank says, I'd stay away from the FMJ bullets.  It will kill them but likely after a 500+ yard sprint out of eyesight.

The Nosler Balistic Tips are a little more "solid" than the Hornady V-MAX bullets.  I think that the Ballistic Tips work better on coyotes since they have a thicker base and give you that extra margin of error if you put one right into their shoulder bone at close range.  It will still plow through (although seldom exit).  The V-MAX bullets, on the other hand, are designed more for squirrels, etc. with a very thin base and are designed to come apart quicker.  They'll still kill coyotes 90% of the time as well as a BT, but if you have the choice...

My .223 load is 27gr of H335 over a 40gr Ballistic Tip right at 3700 fps.

DanV

Reaction score
smokin54, I shoot the same round (Winchester White box, 40 rds.) on smaller varmints. They are VERY destructive, on par with Varmint ballistic tips and  V-max. They completely skin and gut ground squirrels most of the time on a body shot. If I were you and specifically hunting coyotes, I would use a softpoint with a thicker jacket. If I saw a coyote while hunting smaller varmints I would not pass up the opportunity with any round, but then I don't much care what the hide looks like.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom