propose ca dfg hunts????

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, looks like there are going to be some changes in tag numbers for a lot of zones. Unfortunately it looks like I'm looking at a reduction in tags for the zones I hunt. And a only read a little bit of what is there.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Boy gives them a ton of wiggle room, It makes sense and could be a very effective tool to manage our herds, but then again it is California and it could be a tool to restrict hunting across the board.
Well we will see here very soon.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
We now have wolves in California, that will not bode well for us hunters; and those zones will be among the first to see the results of these changes, and set the standard to what will happen in other zones as the wolves populate and expand their territory.

WildlifeBranch

Reaction score
this is essentially the same every year. we initially propose a range of tags, then narrow in on specifics as population survey data comes in by late March. Difference this year is our effort to try and increase elk tags in areas where there is conflict with private lands- either through zone increases and / or SHARE hunts.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, then I was mistaken, I thought those numbers were a done deal leaving last minute changes open to the spread.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Damn Bubble I was good not thinking about them darn wolves, but once again you are right on! unrestricted breading, no predators that can make a dent in their population growth, they will spread Fast and Far.
I know a cougar kills a deer a week for food, and what ever to pay with, what does a pack of wolves with young Kill? Between the two its going to be a tremendous detriment on the Elk herds first and then the Deer, and yes we will see the lower end of the Tag range creeping down California with every reason and excuse attached except for the wolves.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
"Difference this year is our effort to try and increase elk tags in areas where there is conflict with private lands- either through zone increases and / or SHARE hunts."
That is good to hear and most welcomed, Now I can go back to forgetting about them wolves for a while, but Wolves populations will make a significant impact down the road.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Its a long read, but I will take the time. Thank you

WildlifeBranch

Reaction score
readers digest version: CDFW is concerned about the potential impacts of wolf predation on the small localized populations of RM elk in NCal. and also on the long-term declining deer populations in N. Cal. LEgal options to deal with such an impact are limited to non-existent while the species (wolf) is federally listed as well as state listed.

but we did some model analyses of wolf predation on ungulates.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Yep that Is It In a nut shell, Cougar Moratorium that they will not let go of, wolves on the protected spices list.
serious what can be done? Notha until we stop this bleeding heart feel good kill nothing and get some good solid facts and science into play.

WildlifeBranch

Reaction score
I appreciate you bringing this up. Unfortunately it will be about a week before I get to read this as I am heading out of town.
thanks bubble- i didn't mean to make it sound like an assignment for you guys, but more to let you guys know (as the really-- only paying constituents since wildlife conservation and management got started some 100 years ago to try and increase deer and elk herds) that we are well aware of, and share, the concern, have been watching response of predator/prey relationships in the other states, and have worked to identify our concerns going forward. On a planned vacation day today, so this is not me wasting time at work (or on a state computer) on the internet if anyone wonders!

brknarrow

Reaction score
this is essentially the same every year. we initially propose a range of tags, then narrow in on specifics as population survey data comes in by late March. Difference this year is our effort to try and increase elk tags in areas where there is conflict with private lands- either through zone increases and / or SHARE hunts.
hopefully you will make the priest valley area easier to draw for elk. ive got max points putting in for lapanza...got plenty of land to hunt in pv with plenty of elk

WildlifeBranch

Reaction score
Here is initial proposal for La Panza based on past years pop increases (this is based on work by Hobbs and region) and update to Environmental Document for Hunting:

"d. La Panza Tule Elk Hunt.Currently the La Panza elk tule elk hunt has authorized tag ranges for bull (range 0-12Periods 1 and 2) and antlerless (range 0-10 Period 1 and range 0-12 Period 2) tags. Inan effort to manage at an appropriate harvest level, allow additional future opportunity tohunters, and address landowner concerns, the proposal would modify tag ranges forbull (range 0-20 Period 1 and 2) and antlerless (range 0-30 Period 1 and 2) tags."

Captjgray

Reaction score
I think we need to let the media know that wolves favorite food is the California Condor and they enjoy chewing on birkenstock's with traces of granola and marijuana

its like cat nip for Wolves...

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
Whats there to check out? You could convince Newsom to fight for legalizing automatic firearms without licenses before you could convince that group to support hunting.
You missed my point; they are behind the protection of the gray wolf and have also written a "letter" to the DFG regarding their tag allocations for Elk. In other words, they want more elk for wolves and none for hunters.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom