public land dissapointment's

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt whenever I want so I avoid hunting weekend's usually, sunday a.m. I awoke at 4:00 and decided what the hey I'll go turkey hunting. Got to my spot before light and noone else was around, parked and walked in on the 2 track about 1/2 mile and got set up.I watched across the valley on what I thought was private land and saw 2 trucks arrive, 2 guys got out of the first truck and an adult and 2 little children got out of the other, 2 guys head for the draw leading to me so I thought great they'll put on a drive for me. meanwhile as bad as my hearing is I can hear the 2 children yelling to each other, then the guy with the kids gets into his truck and heads for my area, so I'm thinking even if he parks where I did and walks in with the noisy kids I should still have enough time to maybe hammer a bird from the 2 guys coming up my draw, next thing I hear is the 2 wheel drive truck coming down the 2 track that is difficult with a 4 wheeler, tires spinning /motor racing then door slamming and kids yelling about 50 yds from my set-up, any turkeys in the area went north over the hill, now the guy comes up the draw turkey yelping with every other step , I pick up my dekes and head out and the guy in the draw yells something to me but I'm not in the mood to talk so I keep walking past the loud family while the draw guy continues on his turkey quest yelping every other step and the kids yelling encouragement. I would have thought that they would have been courtesy enough to park where I did knowing there was another hunter in the area....oh well...I certainly feel for you guy's that can only hunt public land on a weekend.

z71stealth

Reaction score
That is almost too much to believe. First, the way they were hunting and that they didn't pause to check the area for other hunters. Second, that there were two kids running around the same area as two bozos with guns...

As another public land hunter I know how pissed you were. Spend all week hoping and praying for your one chance to hunt to be a good one - heck, maybe even see a bird! - and it gets blown out. Nuts.

socalgobblerhunter

Reaction score
I feel your paine man. I swear there are more poeple who have no clue on turkey hunting thins year than any other year I've hunted.

Some people could careless about any one else and thats a damn shame.

JNDEER

Reaction score
it seems like some of the "secret" spots you get or have on public lands...when you do run into people they are dummer then a brick and have no clue how to properly hunt (properly hunting to a decent person standards)!!

my opener two guys drove in on trucks..got out..used a gobble tub..herd a gobble...drove past the turks (all of this on private land i cannot hunt, the turks roost here then move into the areas i can hunt----granite it is not my land but...)..then about 15 minutes after fly down i hear 2 shots...thinkin well maybe the other gobblers will come my way...two more shots...dang how bad of a shot are these guys...needles to say in the next 20 minutes a total of 10!!! shots rain out and when we could see them back at there truck....3 guys with one bird....WOW!!!! way to ruin a perfectly good spot with some 10-15 legal gobblers!!!!! ....................then they had the nerve to peel out while we were watching and drive up on a levee road...see a yote running int he middle of the field between us and him....get out and shoot at it some 400+ yards away...in our direction!!!!!!!!

sometimes, even as adults, i think refresher courses in Hunter Education should be manditory

sirpotnick

Reaction score
Public land hunter here and I know how difficult it can be..... Lucky here in Colorado we have very few turkey hunters so it is less of a problem. It also helps that 70% or more of Colorado is public land. My opener is this weekend
so wish me luck!

boar slayer

Reaction score
nothing like being set up since dark the birds working toward you when 4guys walk into your calls at 930 in the morning and stop and talk about wich way to go while being 10 yds from your decoy yep i found turkeys in the woods

Arrowhead

Reaction score
They are probably like that in every aspect of thier life. Not just when turkey hunting. It's all about them.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
It ain't all public land idjits either. We've got 2 roosts on our farm and we have to beat the sneakers off every year. Some have even driven their quads right across a freshly planted corn field.

I'm guessing they're were all tough breach births.

ducslayer

Reaction score
Allmost every year on public land some bozo puts a sneek on my HEN decoy!I only hunt the spring........Jim

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
Reminds me of last year's opening day. Was set up a ways off the road. Had a gobbler slowly working his way towrards me. He was probably 100 yds off when I hear the brush crunching. Out pops a hunter. He sees my decoys then me. The he says to me "Did you hear that gobbler?" I should have told him "Nope, I'm out here bear huntin!". He then headed off in the direction of the gobbling. Never did see or hear anymore turkey that day.

BrandonA

Reaction score
Haha, funny thing I hunted public land once this year (Spenceville general opener this past monday) and saw a ton of birds, but some of the people amaze me. I was playing with a Jake then finally spooked him off because I was going to hunt another area and he flew down a hill and across the road... I swear about 3 trucks that were road hunting saw that poor jake, nailed their brakes and jumped out of the trucks in a footrace trying to catch up to it.

So I went to another area, so I could hike in a mile or so to the back of the property and about 1/4 mile in someone was down next the the main hiking/dfg road with his box call going nuts making gobble calls
I would have gone over to him to let him know it's probably a bad idea to do that, because you'll end up getting shot more than likely but I didn't want to end up as the guy who gets shot when he hears me coming and thinks I'm a turkey. Finally got hiked in and away from the ding dongs and found some birds and their roost tree's so if I go back out I'll just head there.. One the hike back it looked like someone had killed a fox and left it.. It could have been a baby Yote I guess didn't get a good look at it

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom