Public land pig down! FINALLY!!

Nickrp

Reaction score
So went up to some public land on Friday to chase some piggies. Went out Friday night to scout a bit not really planing to take any shots. Hiked in roughly 4-5 miles chasing tracks. Came up a small hill and hear a little squeal and look down and see a little baby piglet. Start Lookig around and see about 10 more and mama. Babies were still pretty small and moms utters were pretty larges so I passed and kept hiking about another mile or so. Then low and behold on a hillside all by her self a nice little piggy. Set down my gear, circled around to get down wind and started crawling. I got within about 50 yards just as she created the hill. Lined up and just as I squeezed she went to lay down.... Luckily hit her right in the spine paralyzingly her and she dropped. I quickly moved in and put her down.

All and all great first solo hunt. Saw more animals then I ever have and was able to bag first pig.

Downside.... Little over 4 hours dragging her out on my own. (Pack was too small to quarter out and to far/to many coyotes to make multiple trips). View attachment 85055 View attachment 85056

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Nice story,
Have you ever considered to use game cart?
I bought a cheap one for public land and converted it to a foldable one, attached straps from and old back pack, now it does not take much room in my car and it is easy to carry to the kill site.
Usually after a kill i mark the spot on my GPS, hike back to the car, take the cart and go back to retrieve the animal. Maybe it sounds long, but it is much faster and easier and cleaner than dragging an animal alone.
If you ever in my area, you can stop by and see how it works.

Nickrp

Reaction score
yeah i am considering building one for sure. or just getting the at bass pro with some figt cards... would have saved me a good 3 hours for sure and would have made cleaning it after much simpler. will get something for sure before next hunt.

dustin ray

Reaction score
congrats nice pig
dragging them out is half the fun

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
yeah i am considering building one for sure. or just getting the at bass pro with some figt cards... would have saved me a good 3 hours for sure and would have made cleaning it after much simpler. will get something for sure before next hunt.
Good, if you want to see how i built mine, you are welcome.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Super congrats on the public land trophy pig, wtg my man. Nice story and photos. They also make a plastic drag sled as an option its flat and rolls up and rolls back out flat with a tow rope and light weight less risistance when pulling on ground or u can do it like New Zealand pig hunters have done it for years piggy back style.....tra

norcaljc

Reaction score
Nice pig. Congrats on your first public land score!

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations! Well earned.

Tra, you won't ever see me doing the piggy back New Zeland shuffle, buddy. I have seen to many ticks and fleas on those things. As a matter of fact, that double I got a while back, both had ticks and fleas; one had lice also.

Nickrp

Reaction score
Thanks all! it was a good time. Yeah i will definately be taking some sort of cart or sled next go around!
yeah i thought about going backpack style with it but i am a whopping 5'5 tall and she would have been dragging on the ground if i did that. and the idea of fleas and ticks has me glad i didn't ahhaahhaha

can't wait to get back out there and bag another once the meat starts running low!

Toua70

Reaction score
That's awesome Nickrp! I've never done hog hunting before in california (texas only) mainly because I haven't seen any lol but awesome story. Enjoyed reading it

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all! it was a good time. Yeah i will definately be taking some sort of cart or sled next go around!
yeah i thought about going backpack style with it but i am a whopping 5'5 tall and she would have been dragging on the ground if i did that. and the idea of fleas and ticks has me glad i didn't ahhaahhaha

can't wait to get back out there and bag another once the meat starts running low!
LOL, the idea is to take the cart to the pig folded, than unfold it, load the pig on and then roll it to the car. No ticks nor flees, no hassle, no dirt, pure joy.

thewolfman

Reaction score
Really really really awesome!!!!!... Congrats on that...

wmhandy

Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm a noob with a few questions. Am I correct in assuming that when you say you went out scouting Friday night you really meant Friday afternoon? If approached by a CDFW warden while transporting game at night will they question you about time of kill? Would a warden hassle an unsuccessful hunter with no game while hiking out of hunting area at night?

OakStuddedAcres

Reaction score
Congrats Nick! All the hard work will make it taste that much better. Been there done that dragging and backpacking my game. They make a cheap shoulder harness that works well, but quartering and packing out is the easiest. Always a good idea to set up a network of friends and fellow hunters as well. Have them on speed dial. I don't mind helping anyone if I'm free and I get a little meat. My friends have saved me a few times.

Nickrp

Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm a noob with a few questions. Am I correct in assuming that when you say you went out scouting Friday night you really meant Friday afternoon? If approached by a CDFW warden while transporting game at night will they question you about time of kill? Would a warden hassle an unsuccessful hunter with no game while hiking out of hunting area at night?
yeah i guess it would be friday afternoon, i headed out at 4ish and made my shot at 5pm. filled out my tag with the time. And honestly if a warden hassled me i would have handed them the rope and said you start dragging ill start timing, lets see how fast you can drag this beast 100 yards uphill hahaha. I think that would settle the time issue.
I have only talked to one warden hiking out at night and they just asked for license, take and checked for me leadfree ammo then i was on my way. (i was unsuccessful that trip) now if i was hiking IN in the dark away from the road they would prob hassle me a bit i assume but i was walking towards the road with a headlamp so nothing shady at all.

Again thanks all it was an awesome hunt!

Nickrp

Reaction score
LOL, the idea is to take the cart to the pig folded, than unfold it, load the pig on and then roll it to the car. No ticks nor flees, no hassle, no dirt, pure joy.
yeah thats what i figured and i have an area i can stow it halfway where i like to hunt.

Nickrp

Reaction score
Congrats Nick! All the hard work will make it taste that much better. Been there done that dragging and backpacking my game. They make a cheap shoulder harness that works well, but quartering and packing out is the easiest. Always a good idea to set up a network of friends and fellow hunters as well. Have them on speed dial. I don't mind helping anyone if I'm free and I get a little meat. My friends have saved me a few times.
yeah my pack choice wasn't the greatest for quartering so that will prob be next investment after a bow. My cousins live pretty close to where i was hunting but they were both working that night :( so it was a no go and I live 5 hours away so all my local friends were a no go as well.

Top Bottom