Public Land Pig Quest is Over

westcoastr

Reaction score
After three years of intense hunting, probably 50 days of hard searching, I finally landed a public land piggie.

For some insane reason I went hunting in the crazy heat last weekend. Went to a new place that I've need seen written up as holding pigs. Something kept drawing me closer though, as I hiked into the canyon. The sign that it held pigs kept getting better and better although it was fairly marginal, but I really never expected to see any at 12:30 in the afternoon. Then a whole army of oinkers crossed my path in a little opening. 2-3 big mature sows, 2-3 younger sows, and 10+ piglets of various sizes.

I took a quick kneeling position, lined up on one of the smaller sows and............CLICK! @$%&%**&% safety wasn’t pushed forward enough!!

So the stalk was on....medium to heavy brush with a small stream bed and lots of gullies where they stayed mostly. A light wind in my face. I crept and crawled for what seemed like forever, in and out of the brush, stream, and gullies. The piglets were arrayed out like an early warning system for the mature pigs. I was within 20 yards of piglets multiple times, but the big gals never showed themselves. I though I was busted at least twice. But 600 more meters later, the group was crossing back over in a small clearing about 100 meters away. I took a quick sitting position, center on one of the smaller sows……….
BOOM! 308 Barnes MRX handload roars out of the Kimber Montana and all hell breaks loose. Pigs going up, down, left, and right. My sow runs 10 meters up the hill spinning her wheels, walks back down and falls over dead under the shade of nice oak tree.
Of course, not expecting to see anything that day I just had a few items in a large fanny pack. So I did a small carry out with just the rear hams and nearly died in the heat. Rested a bit in truck a/c and went back in with my full pack for the rest of the meat.
And so ends an obsession of mine, best of all my wife now knows that I really am hunting all those days spend away from home!

Sorry the pic is a little graphic. My first though was that I gut shot her, but the bullet over-pressure blew her lung out. Hit both lungs at about the 8th rib through and through, lost a couple of ribs but all the other meat with primo.

Attachments

One Track

Reaction score
Congrats to you! That's something we don't see very often around here. A public land hog is like a 180" mule deer. You have to put in a lot of days, and you did.

ltdann

Reaction score
Thats putting the time in! Well deserved congrats to you.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
strong work!!! agreed on the 180 muley theory!!way to get some!!

Caviel

Reaction score
Great, an absolutely great hunt Congrats :pig-laughing:

Valley Hunter

Reaction score
Congrats!!!!! A pig on public is a great mark in your book of hunting

Kentuck

Reaction score
Congrats on the PLH! I found some hog sign during turkey season this year on public ground. It's high on my list to go back and investigate further.

Dain V

Reaction score
You're A better man then I am, Gunga Din.:pig-laughing:

83Yota

Reaction score
Congrats on your PLH, one of the toughest to get..

ozstriker22

Reaction score
What a great "trophy" as noted already, a PLH Piggie is something only few of us can claim (I sure cant!).

So congratulations again!

elkguys

Reaction score
way to go!! it will taste better with all that hard work you have done

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hard work pays off. Way to stick with it westcoastr. I got a couple spots like that I check when I can and hopefully some day I will stumble into some pigs.

Wild1

Reaction score
Great job - persistence pays off. Congratulations!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom