Publishing this for others' info

Trieu Pham

Reaction score
I'm new to posting but have been following this forum.  I've made two cameras and had pictures from my commercial TrailTimer published in a local outdoors magazine.  I am thinking about submitting an article to this magazine detailing how to make your own camera and will include the website as a resource of course.  I will only do this if I have the general permission of the original website managers and camera-building pioneers.  This is not for camera re-sale or profit, but merely to help other sportsmen like the purpose of this website.

Any thoughts or input if I may do this?

flahunter

Reaction score
SHHHHHHHHH! I say lets keep it quite! Let people found out about the cameras themselves to much public knowledge is a bad thing!

Just be happy you can make these cameras and keep it to yourself. We may run out of parts!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I had thought about doing something like this to get the word out but had second thoughts.  I don't think Jesse is prepared for an influx of new users to his site.  It's fine to grow but eventually it is going to cost more more to run the sight.  Banner ads or membership fees would be need to support the sight.  

I'm glad to see you didn't act before seeing what the general consesus is.  I know word about this page gets around pretty good on other websites.  I don't know what impact if might have in a magazine.

ToddP

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
well put todd, i feel that this is a gift to us all here. i was told about this from another site, http://www.bowsite.com "by a friend" and acted on my own to build one. that stops a lot of people!!!! the people behind this site has the authority. they build, test, and develop programs..they do all the work we just put them together....the get the credit! keep it that way...sell some to support your habit but commercially " nope".   steve holloway

(Edited by BOHUNTER at 1:22 am on Feb. 19, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Trieu,
From the perspective of a long-time "home-brewer", I don't see anything wrong with that.  Always felt kind of bad for the potential "cammies" out there with no internet access or computer skills.  Print media would be a great way to give them access to the information.

But ToddP made an excellent point about Jesses' site getting overwhelmed.  I'd guess Jesse would have to be the one to give a final go-ahead on the idea.

Archilochus

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I have no problem with the magazine article as long as there is a credit to where the plans came from.

If I have to get more server space I'll will if there is a need with more visitors

I've been trying to get one of the main outdoor writers to give us some ink to help spread the word outsie of the Internet but he has not done a write up yet.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I found out about this site from Jesse on the bowsite,i was digging for homeade feeders and found his post to visit the site.
 Everyone hates to spend money on more webspace and to stop banners but it is nice to have a very popular site,besides I would be willing to donate to my favorite spot on the web to help out if the need arises.
 guess i had better buy all the cameras i could ever want huh!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what magazines will print an article on the home-brew cameras.  Their advertising dollars are coming from commercial units not our home made units.  This months issue of "Bowhunter" magazine has an article on electonic monitoring of game trails.  The focus primarily on trail counters but at the end of the arcticle is a listing of commercial camera manufacturers.  

Maybe I'll do a little fishing with the little, local outdoors magazines/newspapers to see if there is any interest.

ToddP

Jesse,
To  offset some costs maybe start charging a very nominal user fee.  Something like $1.  Multiplied out by the number of people in this discussion forum would help cover some of your costs.  I know... could be more complicated that it's worth too.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Trieu Pham,

It's Jesse's Site, if he don't care it don't matter to me

You mentioned you've sold a few Cam Photos to magazines, etc.  Mind letting us in on how that's done?  I'm sure there's a few guys on here who'd like to do that with some of theirs.......

Thanx

Tinhorn

Trieu Pham

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.  First off, I will certainly give credit where it's due.  The article is simply meant to show that someone with no electrical background can stand on the shoulders of the pioneering giants and do this project.  As for running out of supplies, I think NOT buying certain things will lead to their replacement by newer models.  If Canon started making all their cameras with automatic shut-off, then it's trouble.  Likewise, the stores will stock things that sell well and scrap the stuff that doesn't move off the shelves.  Here in Michigan, the Canon camera and Radioshack components are easy to come buy and reasonably priced.  This is NOT for money.  The cameras I made I have given away and the picture I got published was not paid for.  As for how to get something published, write to the editor and ask.  My one published picture went along with a story about a dumb Jake that let me walk up to it.  This is only a local magazine, not even found on newstands, so don't expect a stampede.

Jesse, do you want a file of the article before it goes to the editor?

Thanks, Trieu

Stever

Reaction score
My thoughts are that only a small percentage of individuals would tackle this project. If there was a stampede then cam tracker etc. might drop there price or go out of business and even if cam trackers were the same price as home brews the addicts on this site would stick to building there own. It is a cult that is growing. (pass the kool aid)
Jesse is da man and what he says goes fine with me.

Possum

Reaction score
I thought the same thing about only a few people trying it.  However, there are some guys I know that saw the website and went crazy over it.  They say they are addicted.  Wonder where that came from? LOL  I expect a phonecall from their wives anyday now.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom