puddingstone

nocturnal23

Reaction score
I live near puddingstone lake and want to try fishing it, has anyone here fished it recently? My mom thinks its to polluted to eat the fish, but she doesnt know for sure, is it that bad or not.

EVAN III

Reaction score
  I've never heard anything bad about the water at puddingstone. If you do find out something let us know.

EVAN III

nocturnal23

Reaction score
I didnt think it could be that bad either but thats just what my mom says and shes pretty picky, do people swim in it?

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes after heavy rain storms the run off causes the bacteria levels in the lake to rise.  They ussually close the swiming beach temporarely until the levels drop.  I've never heard of it affecting the fish.  Just call them and ask.  It's probably listed under "Frank Bonelli County Park".  

dazco

Reaction score
I went there once with a couple friends and i don't know what the deal was, but we caught trout one after another. We literally could not leave out lines in the water more than a minute w/o hooking one, i swear to god. Never seen anything like it. A regular told us it's not normally like that, but man was it amazing.

In any case, we ate a lot of trout and lived.

-Dale

Kickaha

Reaction score
I lived near Puddingstone for 25 years (moved about 5 years ago).  Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable fishing the more remote areas (especially in the earlier/later hours) unless I was one of the lucky few who could carry protection.  I haven't actually been to the lake in 20 years, this is just from experience with the surrounding area in general.  

Regarding the cleanliness of the lake, I always felt the way your mom does.  Just a general feeling and not based on anything real or scientific.  I think it may have something to do with the name "Puddingstone".  It's likely as clean as any other local watering hole.

JBarn3

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>
Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable fishing the more remote areas (especially in the earlier/later hours) unless I was one of the lucky few who could carry protection.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Kickaha, as long as you have a valid California fishing license, you are one of the lucky few who can carry protection.

Pursuant to Penal Code section 12025, a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
• Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control, any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
• Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
NOTE: A firearm carried openly in a belt holster is not considered "concealed" as it
applies to the above prohibition. (Penal Code § 12025(e).)

P.C. 12027
Section 12025 does not apply to or affect the lawful transportation or possession of a firearm under specific circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:
(E)(3)(g)Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

So, in short, carrying a handgun while hunting or fishing whether concealed or not is perfectly legal as long as the handgun is legal for you to possess.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
JBarn3

Would that state law be preempted by a local ordnance?

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Puddingstone is in Frank Bonilli County Park (L.A. Co).  Guns would be a no no there.

JBarn3

Reaction score
I was thinking it was state run, yes, the county regulations on firearms prevent you from carrying there. I don't think you could carry there even with a CCW. Not sure though, don't have one, so never bothered to find out.

Kickaha

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, JBarn3!  Guess I'm so bombarded by anti-gun messages, I just assumed that you couldn't carry one while fishing at all.  Good to know....

BTW, carrying a holstered handgun in the open is perfectly legal, correct?  And not just while hunting/fishing, but anywhere it's not expressly forbidden, correct?  I think there's something in there about loaded guns being illegal, but unloaded ones should be just fine.  I've always wondered why you don't see more people strap one on.  And I've always wondered how it would be handled -- by both the public and the police (who would very likely be called by the panic-stricken public).  

JBarn3

Reaction score
12031.  (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

So, yes loaded guns are definately out in any city or "public place". I can't find anything that that would prohibit you from carrying an unloaded gun openly. However, some courts have found that a loaded magazine, not in the gun, is still a loaded weapon. I would guess that would depend a lot on the situation, and your lawyer's ability.

Note: I am not (yet) a lawyer or other legal professional, as such, no advice given should be construed to represent law or legal precedent.

Maverick

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>
I was thinking it was state run, yes, the county regulations on firearms prevent you from carrying there.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>
Even if is a state lake like Perris or a public lake like Jenks that is ran by the forest service you can't carry a firearm. Its not like you fishing 25 miles for a road these places are full of people.

JBarn3

Reaction score
You can carry while fishing with a license anywhere that it is not expressly prohibited.

State parks have only a rule against loaded firearms.

You could carry a concealed revolver with a speedloader and be perfectly legal.

And if you are familiar with your revolver, you could have it loaded and ready in about the same amount of time it would take to cock a semi-auto.

JBarn3

Reaction score
I am trying to find the regulation that actually prohibits loaded firearms in state parks. Might it simply be applied under P.C. 12031.

Where I'm going with this, is can you still have a loaded gun at your campsite within a state park?

Section 12031 states "Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite."

Since campsites are considered a temporary residence, usually you can carry open, concealed, loaded, unloaded, whatever you want as long as the gun is legal for you to possess.

Is there some regulation that applies specifically to state parks that prohibits you from protecting your campsite?

JBarn3

Reaction score
For clarification,

I am talking about carrying in recreation areas like Silverwood, not Santa Monica or Watts Towers.

And coveybustinchris, often times I feel safer 25 miles from the nearest paved road than I would at say Lake Perris. (the 2 legged predators don't wander far from the road)

I know people that have been stopped at Silverwood with a loaded handgun in the truck and simply asked to unload it when they were driving, but camping or fishing was ok.

However I know that enforcement and interpretation can vary greatly based on the officer, the person carrying, and the circumstances.

Top Bottom