Pump verses semi auto

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
So who is still shooting a pump gun for ducks and geese? I shot an 870 or a BPS for years. I have only changed over to an auto about 7 years ago and now I have 2. Yesterday in the blind taking "duck" loads out to get "goose" loads in was a pain. I screwed it up once and didn't even get a shot. Since the ducks that we could shoot were very very few I just left the goose loads in after the first couple of hours. The auto is nice for the 3.5 inch loads but I think I shot better with a pump gun. Of course there is no way my failing eye site or slower reaction time would have anything to do with my misses. LOL
I was told that there are almost no geese where I am hunting this weekend so I could just take any "duck" gun I want to. Will not need the 3.5 inch gun.

Limited Out

Reaction score
There are a few negatives with quality auto guns, but not many. I sure enjoy my auto guns, it would be hard to go back. Makes up for a lot of my shortcomings!

boar slayer

Reaction score
I have been shooting a benelli SBE for around 10 years or so my prior shotgun was a browning BPS that browning is getting a lot of dust on it I need to sell it I will never shoot that gun again to dam heavy and hard to pump.
the benelli had a issue coming unlocked and the pull up squeeze and click happened it's such a simple fix it's silly polished up the edges of the bolt face and no more problem tolerances were to tight loosened her up a bit now it runs like an AK47

Reaction score
Why are you switching loads? Find a 3 inch shell that patterns well and it will shoot just as good as any 3.5

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Why are you switching loads? Find a 3 inch shell that patterns well and it will shoot just as good as any 3.5
My changing loads in the middle of a hunt is for shot size. If we are trying for ducks with say #4 or #3s and then geese start our way then I prefer #1 or larger. I don't want to shoot either of those exclusively. When hunting the local rice blinds you get a wide variety of birds.
On Sunday shooting a different area we never even saw a goose close to range so never changed shot size. I also have never actually purchased 3.5 inch loads. It is what was provided by the host hunter.
Tough to shoot 3.5 inch loads if all you own is 3 inch gun. I did however bring my own 3 inch shells because my shoulder does not like the 3.5 shells.

Back to am earlier thread about magnum loads. One guy never ever buys 3 inch loads. The other host almost never shoots 3.5 inch shells. These guys spend thousands and thousands of dollars per year on their clubs and I will not argue with them. I am a non paying guest.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I did pay the first guy whatever he wanted for the shells I used so I guess I did buy some 3.5 inch loads. I came home with a couple of boxes of "goose" loads. He wouldn't take what they were worth. He would only take $20 per box. I turned down a chance to go to Little Dry Creek today on a reservation that was in the top 5. I was told I as an idiot. Prior commitments. Even old retired guys can be busy.

Neanderthal

Reaction score
One reason I chose a Maxus was for the magazine cut-off feature just in case I ever need to eject a shell and replace it with a goose load or a slug. May not ever use it in the field, but I figure it's better to have and not need than to need and not have. May not be that practical if you expect to take more than one shot at the intended game.

A warden showed me how it could be used to hunt ("road ready" is what I think he called it) with an open bolt. Quick flip of the switch and it chambers a shell from the magazine.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I screwed that cut off up at least twice the other day. I had it off after changing a shell so I made it a single shot by accident. Oh well live and learn. Never did that with an 870 or a BPS. :) I need to shoot the Maxus more often. If the geese would circle back around next time I will try to do better.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Have shot a pump my whole life and think I always will (wingmaster and a more recent nova). For me the the pump action is part of the recoil...by the time the recoil is over and your back on target there's another shell ready to go.
I shoot 3" #2 kent fast steel but usually have a couple 3" bb's on hand for geese.
If they are close enough the #2's work for both and that mostly works for me.

Top Bottom