Puppies: Socialization & Health Risks

bpenn

Reaction score
What does everyone here do?

I want to socialize before 16 weeks, but I dont want a dead pup either. We have a group of neighbors who all take our dogs to the park in the evenings to run around. Obviously letting a pup run free wouldnt be good, but can I carry her there and have her sit next to me while the other dogs come to her?

In the field, can they get into health trouble from animal scat? I want to take her out in the field to run around, but again dont want her to be susceptible to any nasty bugs.

Thanks for your thoughts
Brad

maddog582

Reaction score
The park is the worst place you can go. I don't trust other people and how they vacinate their dogs. Just wait until you have all of your shots, you'll be ok

zodiakgsps

Reaction score
Ditto what maddog said, for now, stay away from dog parks, Petsmarts, etc. I also worry about health of strange dogs.
I get my pups out as young as 6 weeks, the pups I have now have been going out several times a week for a run since they were 6 weeks old, but I only go to places where I know if any dogs go, they are healthy and well cared for.(no fleas, etc) I don't even like walking around the neighborhood until all boosters are done with.
When I go to the vet for something, I go in w/o the pup until he is ready to be seen, then carry in and out.
If you have access to property no one goes to, or any dogs that do are kept up well, by all means run the pup, get her on birds and have some fun with her.
Good luck with your new addition!!

Birddog3

Reaction score
I totally agree with Maddog & Zodiak. Stay away from every place until the pup is fully vaccinated. Remember.... Parvo and the other diseases can be brought home on your shoes and clothing! You have plenty of time to socialize after the final shots. You just can't be too careful with puppies!!

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Parvo is in the ground everywhere. There is NO safe place to run or walk your pups or dogs until they are up to date on all their shots. Even after all shots are given its still not a guarantee of safety, BUT its the best we can do for our pets. Parvo SUCKS, be mindful of it and think twice about running your dogs/pups outside your home until puppy shots are complete.

Larry Lowell

gundogtrainer

Reaction score
I dont let my pups out of the house until they have had all of their shots. Parvo is not only in the ground but can be air born as well. Ask your vet how bad parvo is in your area, It is bad in riverside sent my bitch and her pups to my dads house in Bridgeport. The best place I have found to socialize my pups has been bass pro shops.

Jon Wills

Reaction score
I agree... CA is full of Parvo and I would NOT take your dog ANYWHERE in CA without all the shots

bpenn

Reaction score
Thanks all. Pup is coming this week. Plan is to keep her inside as much as possible.

I'm going to take her to Big Bear as often as I can to socialize with my parents 3 dogs (two labs and a ridgeback mix). They're all up on their shots and my parents are on some land, so we shouldnt have to worry about other dogs.

Living in urban LA I may take her for walks in parts of the city I never see dogs, just to socialize with people....and pick up chicks....:rotflmao:

gundogs

Reaction score
DHLPP+C , Bordatella and add Lepto and Rabies when applicable. Too many of the really contagious viruses are either air borne or water born and can even be transmitted on the moisture carried in on your shoes.
Check with your Vet. I agree with all of the previous posts ... Protect that puppy.

Bryce:patiotic-wavin-flag

Top Bottom