Purging numbers on refuges

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Let's see who gets riled over this one..........

Why not purge ?   Say an hour after shoot time all numbers get turned in and you get a new number.
Shouldn't guys that hang around waiting to get in get a new number instead of having to wait for the cluber's to show up after shooting their clubs ?

If you got a place to shoot then go shoot it but (here comes the F word again ) It would seem fair for those who are waiting around and do not have the luxery of a club to at least move up in the ranks .

I've seen the light now on the FC/FS thing (thanks to Wooduck and Riley) so now purging is my new drum to beat on.

Jay

Reaction score
So what did the "light" look like? Maybe everbody hasn't seen it.

I got no problem with "purging" except the mental picture of all them guys puking.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Purging may be fine, but we need to be very clear when it will occur.  I think my preference would be to "purge" at shoot time for that day.  As soon as it is shoot time, then take everyone that is there and pass out new numbers - keeping everyone in their same order.

If they do it too early (ex: right after they get everyone signed in) or waited till too late (ex: 1 hour after shoot time), then it might not work as well.  But, if you did it right at shoot time, everyone will always know exactly when it will occur each shoot date and no excuses if you aren't there for the "purge".  This way I could also decide to go get a quick breakfast if my draw didn't get me in at 4am and still get back at shoot time to get my new "purged" number.  

MQ

Reaction score
I like the purge idea. If you are not there in the check station after they let the last guy in for the morning shoot, you get purged. Sorry Duck Fan, but you will have to cook breakfast in the lot like the rest of us, or get purged.

Jay

Reaction score
Although I like the purge idea, it aint gonna fly.

Clubbers are members of the public just like non-clubbers. Just because they can afford an alternative place to hunt besides public lands does not justify rules which specifically target them.

In order to make this dog hunt the issue has to be framed in terms of safety, diversity of usage, or fairness to all users of the refuges including club hunters. After all it's "public" land, Joe Clubber is a member of the public just as much as everbody else.

Remember the golden rule........ the ones with the most money make the rules. If you split the duck hunting community along the club verses no-club line the clubbers will win every time. I don't like it but that's the way it works.

Litch

Reaction score
I agree with Jay about club memebers being being part of the public. Myself and some friends lease a couple of blinds, but are in no way "rich" like some people on this board keep implying all club memebers are.  I do hunt refuges once in a while and that is my right as I too pay into the system. Some of the people bitching would be the first to cry foul if someone kept them from using public land. I work hard and save my money to be able to hunt my own blind and if I chose to hunt a refuge I sure as hell am going to.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
I couldn't give a crap if your rich, poor or born with a Bismuth spoon in your mouth. All I'm saying is wait in line like the rest of us.

Do you go to Disneyland to ride the Teacups and see a two hour line and just mark  your place in line so you can come back  right before it's your turn to jump on ?  Hell no. You gotta wait in line with everybody else.

The point is if you wanna get out of line to get some Mickey ears with your name on them then when you get back get to the back of the line. Same goes on the refuge> I'm waiting to get in if you want to bail and go see a movie in the AM that great.  But you should lose your spot in line.

Now go ahead............argue........but............but............It's crap.  Like Jay sez money talks.  Money and who you know.

twoducks

Reaction score
I agree with the purge senario but I don't think that its the club hunters that are always to blame for hunting their club and then jumping back in line.  I have been at Little Dry Creek and waited it out to get in and had guys come back from hunting Gray Lodge and got in before me.  I know that this is an option but if I am willing to be there in line, what does it hurt to purge the sweat line at shooting time?

Duck Fan

Reaction score
All:  Although I gave a response to this post, my first thought was to say lets "leave it as is"...BUT, I figured that "IF" this were to happen, I wanted to share my ideas on how I thought it could be done.  Again, my comments are only there "IF" this became a reality.

M.Q.:  If they do it after the last guy gets in, the "Club" hunter could still be there to get the new "purged" number..and then take off and still make it to his/her club blind.  I think waiting till shoot time would be best "IF" something like this was done for the reasons stated..but I say leave it as is..

Woodduck

Reaction score
E.A.

Finally something I think we agree on!  I'm with you to purge the line.....although it does bring back some not so pleasant memories regarding purging while in line, but that's another story(s).  This is not solely a club hunter versus not issue.  Little Dry Creek is the classic example.  Many who return were at Gray Lodge at shoot time, and many were at a club.  Because of the extreme demand to get into LDC, I support making the rules to require you stay and be counted through a purge.  This requires that people commit to LDC, or not.  I know I've been a frustrated individual when I get up in the LDC parking lot and have car after car pull in front of me.  If the system was changed to a purge, you'll have a much better idea of where you stand.  

By the way E.A., was the light you saw a strobe light, black light or a million power flashlight beam?

Jay

Reaction score
We may have something workable here. E.A. and his Mickey ears got me thinking. If you're in line, you're in line. If you get out of line, you're out of the line. If you want to get back in after getting out, you go to the back of the line.

It shouldn't matter if you're running to town to get breakfast, shooting your club or playing double lotteries at two refuges, if you leave the refuge you lose your place.

Currently there are no re-entry rights for people who are hunting on the refuges. You are not allowed to leave the hunt area without returning your permit card. The same should be true of people waiting in line to fill open spots. This does a several things in my opinion:
1. Provides a consistent entry and usage policy.
2. Encourages safety by eliminating a significant amount of traffic from the check station parking lots.
3. Discourages early morning speeding between hunt areas.

Litch

Reaction score
Hey E.A. take a breath! I never said I wanted any special favors, just the same benefits you get. You obviously have a problem with club hunters, and this really isn't the place for it. We all share the same interest in hunting, so why don't you just relax.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Coors Light......  I can pretty much come and go as I want at work so the FC/FS thing will allways work for me. I still think it sucks that the same small group of guys are in ahead of everybody just about every Friday and Tuesday.

I agree that it's not a clubbie created problem on the purge issue.  It goes for everybody.  Get out of line. Lose your spot.

Glad we could agree Woodie. Now how about we do something about that eye sore of a trailer park at Greylodge.   Tornado, flood, roaches ??????

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
It was Reverend Cleopheus.  He's seen the light and has to get the band (mallard, of course).  Opps, wrong movie (watched the Blues Brothers Friday afternoon with the kid).  Yes, I think this is something almost everybody can agree on - Purging the lotto lines at shoot time makes a lot of sense.  It is not a club v non-club issue.  As Woodduck points out a lot of hunter get screwed at the Lodge by guys running in, burning a box of shells, high gunning the better decoying areas, then running back to LDC to get back at 8:30.  Yes it will to some extent effect some guys that hunt the rice around the refuges, but they have an equal chance of getting in as the other guy, if they choose to stick around.  This idea is something DFG is giving serious consideration to this year, and if I can push it with my contacts I certainly will.  Yes E.A., I agree this seems “fair”.

Jay

Reaction score
Who let the dogs out? Who, who who?

So who's going to take this to the DFG and the Feds?

Who's drivng the bus?

Maybe somebody should write up a proposal and we should all sign it and then somebody deliver it in person to the people in charge. A typed letter, hand delivered, signed by multiple people should carry some weight.

Litch

Reaction score
I agree with your proposal. If you leave the refuge, sorry you lose. It is just not fair for someone to have his name in at multiple locations while someone else goes begging. Good idea, lets see if DFG will go for it.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Put me down for a yes vote. I can't tell you how many times I've been rotting in the parking lot at LDC only to have guys come rolling in around 9 a.m. and be hunting before me. I don't know if they were hunting clubs or the Lodge, but, either way, I've always hated it. In fact, I get so tired of it that I just started skipping LDC altogether and hunting the Lodge.

Purging at shoot time makes perfect sense.

MQ

Reaction score
Duck Fan, the reasons I would purge after letting the last hunter on is:
*it would allow you to catch a little shut-eye, while its still dark, if you are not getting in for a while
*if you are a clubbie, you could get back to your club (of course you lose your spot in line, though)
*you could still make it over to the Lodge before shoot time (again relinquishing your spot in line)
Other than that I dont care when the line is purged, just as long as it is purged. As my kids would say, "move your feet; lose your seat!"

Duck Fan

Reaction score
MQ - thats fine with me..I just figure those who want to be somewhere else to hunt will certainly be gone at shoot time...  It doesn't matter to me...but purging is certainly Ok with this 'ol "36 years on the Refuges" hunter.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Litch Litch Litch..... It's you that needs to take the breath guy. Lighten up. Why such a thin skin buddy ?

Yoe say that I have a problem with club hunters. Where do you derive that from ?

What do you concider a club hunter ?  One who pay for the right to hunt private property ?

If so than I am a club hunter. I pay someone money so I can hunt private property in my own blind a mile from a N.W.R.  Am I a clubbie ??? Iguess so.

My problem was with ANYBODY being able to split and come back just in time to be ahead of me.

It never fails..... I'm waiting around the check station and number 26 is nowhere to be seen.
Look the the west and here comes some oldtimer puttin along the levee with his cart and I'm thinking YES it's about time. COMMMMMOOONNNNNN pops hurry it up.

Now I look the the East and here comes somebody haulin ass down the road. Who do you think it is. Yep... The guy with the number before me.

So yeah litch....  You need to take a breath and not take everything I write so seriously.
You don't have E.A. figured out yet ?

I bring up these topics because I'm bored and i like stirrin the pot.  Gets kinda old seeing the same 5 to 8 guys posting all the time. kinda remindes my of the same 5 to 8 guys that are allways ahead of me at Sutter. (that really don't excist)

Advertisement

Top Bottom