Put me on the board...

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score

I popped this old fellow off this evening. My brother and I found him yesterday morning, but we had two coyotes come in and spook him off. I had to go out of town yesterday afternoon, so I couldn't stake him out. I came in this evening and went straight to where he roosted yesterday in hopes of cutting him off. However, he was already in the field we saw him in yesterday. He was strutting for more hens when I popped him off. The .204 strikes again. He collapsed like a ragdoll.

I have video of him strutting yesterday morning and the coyotes coming in. I'll post it later this week when I get time to upload it.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Oh yeah. His measurements are:

Beard: 10 3/4"
Spurs: 1 1/4" each
Weight: 19 pounds

Every year I have coyotes come in during a hunt at least once. My first bird has also had a 10 3/4" beard three years in a row.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Congrats on your Osceola .....
..... For whatever reason, and I know it must be legal in Florida, it just doesn't seem the same, shooting them with a rifle. I guess it's just my own feelings...........

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Yes its legal here. I wouldn't have it any other way. There's nothing like putting that crosshair right on their wing, hearing the snap of the rifle, and watching the bird crumple without twitching a feather.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Nice bird...For me it's seeing how close I can have him and putting the arrow where it needs to go... :archer green: I think you can shoot 'em with rifles in HI also....

Tominator

Reaction score
Booyah! Congrats, now I gotta go start the harvest thread

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Here's the video of the morning before where the coyotes came in and messed us up:

Tominator

Reaction score
Why didn't I see any gunfire? C'mon man ya gotta tell me you killed or at least attempted to kill the yotes????

MMoore83

Reaction score
Nice BIRD and nice Shoot. In CA we can use a 22 cal. pellet rifle but I never have. My last tom was 6 yards out (he came in behind a bush and I was afraid to move and spook him). When I took the shot his head filled the scope on my 870. He flew off and I figured I missed him so I had to take him out of the air (excited - heck yah). After I go to him I had seen that I did hit him in the head so he probably would have died somewhere later. I guess where I'm going is, it would be cool to see them just drop rather then flopping around. CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Why didn't I see any gunfire? C'mon man ya gotta tell me you killed or at least attempted to kill the yotes????[/b]
The video was taken on the opener Saturday morning. I went back and killed the same bird Sunday afternoon. We didn't have a shot Saturday because there was no safe backdrop to shoot either the turkey or the yotes. Both the gobbler and the coyotes had a horse farm with livestock behind them. By the time we had changed positions to have a safe shot at the gobbler, the coyotes came in and spooked off the birds (although the birds just as likely could have seen us moving). One coyote was right on the fenceline, the other was up the hill with some pines behind him. The second coyote would have been safe to shoot had I been able to see him from my position, but I couldn't see him until he moved to the fence line. We made a lot of noise to get them to move back towards the center of the field, but they wouldn't budge until we moved, and then they ran off. So we never took a shot.

Top Bottom